View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Sewnoma

I just did my first tied quilt as a Christmas gift. My gran tied ALL of her quilts but it felt "risky" to me for some reason, so I washed it four times before I gave it away, just to make SURE everything stayed together! It held together just fine, and all the washing frayed the ties which I think made them look nicer and I imagine helps make sure they stay tied. (I used pearl cotton #8, worked great. My gran always used yarn scraps but I don't really like how bumpy the knots are.)

I have a king-size quilt I am finishing for our bed, and I want to double-batt it. I quilt my quilts on my DSM; it has a 9" harp but shoving a double-batt king-size quilt through has been something I've been putting off and dreading. But now that the other quilt went so well, I've decided to tie it! I didn't have any good ideas for the quilting anyway, and since I want this quilt to be extra warm I think tying makes more sense anyway - leaves more loft to trap heat. I just have to get my hiney down to the store and find some brown pearl cotton for the ties.