Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone tie quilts anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-tie-quilts-anymore-t260048.html)

alagal 01-22-2015 07:37 AM

I tie most of mine. The tide in our area has changed in that the new brides want the old fashioned look. By the way, I was born and raised in MD

pocoellie 01-22-2015 08:36 AM

yobrosew, speed tie is the only way to tie, as far as I'm concerned, but didn't realize it had a "name".

tessagin 01-22-2015 10:17 AM

Love this quilt. May have to recreate for my DGD. She loves grays and pinks and if tied I believe would work great. Beautiful job!

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface (Post 7058238)
I will occasionally tie quilts depending on the batting loft . I do find them warmer than machine quilted quilts and like the look.

crafty pat 01-22-2015 10:51 AM

I tie some of my quilts if I want a softer look. I tie mostly baby quilts but some just ask to be tied while others look so much better quilted. I tied the lap quilt, the only quilt I have kept for myself and it is several years old and has held up as good as any quilted quilt.

matraina 01-22-2015 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 (Post 7058400)
Nanny, your french general quilt is beautiful

I agree. Very pretty!

grandmahoney 01-22-2015 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 7057065)
I didn't think that was done much anymore but I just had a woman approach me about tying a quilt for her. She said she had a woman who would tie her quilts for $25. I told her that was a steal and she should call her again. I can't imagine tying a quilt for $25 but not sure what I would charge either. I haven't seen a tied quilt in years. Does anyone still do that? These are wedding quilts for her grandchildren so I'm assuming they are big enough for a bed.

Yes i still tie quilts. I tie a lot of my grand kids quilts because I know they will be washed a lot and used more. I hand quilt special quilts for my married children and sisters.

Debbie C 01-22-2015 08:16 PM

I really prefer tying all my quilts...I love the finished old fashioned look it gives

earthwalker 01-22-2015 11:02 PM

I've tied one completely and then another tied and handquilted. The rest machine quilted. I have a string top, basted with quite thick batting, it is an absolute nightmare to put under my machine. I am thinking as it's been on the 'backburner' so long, maybe I should tie it. A couple of times I've overheard others say that a tied quilt isn't really a 'proper' quilt.....I am beginning to think 'they' were wrong. Thanks fellow quilters, I think Rachel's string quilt is going to be tied.

paoberle 01-23-2015 04:46 AM

I love tied quilts. They drape better and are softer. I have started tieing all my larger quilts. $25 to tie a quilt large enough for a bed seems cheap.

Karamarie 01-23-2015 05:40 AM

Last night I babysat my 2 year old granddaughter and her blanket of choice she brought along was the flannel quilt I tied for her Mom forty years ago. It's flannel on both sides and has a thin blanket as batting. I had tied it about 6 inches apart and it has been washed sooooooooo-many times. It's barely faded, ties have held up fine and can't see hardly any wear on it. It was tied with regular yarn. I do believe the flannel was better years ago and I think a tied quilt is a softer quilt. For that reason I still tie charity baby/kids. All a matter of choice.