Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-quilt-making-take-more-time-energy-you-get-older-t145970.html)

amma 08-18-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
The work's not taking any longer. There's just more & more rest breaks between the working times. :)

Yep! :D:D:D

ssgramma 08-18-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e

Originally Posted by JulieR
Well, I am 39 and a half and I love to buy layer cakes -- but only layer cakes, and only because they give me "just enough" of a collection to give me a taste. But it still needs slicing.

So I wonder if we can tell age by attitude toward pre-cuts? I'm *almost* 40, and I *almost* don't buy pre-cuts. LOL!!

I think the girl was in her 20's......Hey, I'm 57......I feel antiquish!!!! lol lol..Is antiquish a word??? lol lol

No no - we are Mid Century Modern LOL

gmaof5 08-18-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I know everyone on here is way younger than me, but it sure seems like making quilts is a much longer/tiring process than it used to be.

Remember when I basically sewed from daylight till sundown....no more! Used to cut out a K size quilt in one session...no more.Did all the pressing in one go.Sewed all the rows together ....ditto. No more! Always had 3-4 quilts ready to send to LA quilter.
Just writing this down makes me realize why making a quilt seems to take longer, it does! Lots longer!
Think I need a new name,how about "creakybones"?
:lol: :lol:

Don't be so hard on yourself.
I am new on the board, when I read about layer cakes and jelly rolls I thought I hit the wrong board. I am a baker, my hubby and I just closed our bakery in Oct. last year. And want too, get back to quilting. Thank goodness I google and can search without looking like a fool.. I am reading as much as I can hear. Just Wonderful... :-P

blueangel 08-18-2011 12:34 PM

I agree

scraphq 08-18-2011 01:22 PM

Glassquilt: You are so right!

mcar 08-19-2011 04:26 AM

Perseverance is what you have! You will see the quilt through.
I found that I slowed down on an easy quilt because I was thinking about the experiments I was going to undertake next, And I was a bit afraid of how it would work out. The love of color won out, curiosity did too. I have to take rests and nothing is done in a day. But I lay out the plan for the next session before stepping away. I find that layer cakes put the likeable fabric on top and the rest of the grouping does not really measure up. I gravitated toward them when I thought it would be too difficult to gather fabric for a quilt....I did not know how to chose colors!!!!

luv-e 08-19-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma

Originally Posted by luv-e

Originally Posted by JulieR
Well, I am 39 and a half and I love to buy layer cakes -- but only layer cakes, and only because they give me "just enough" of a collection to give me a taste. But it still needs slicing.

So I wonder if we can tell age by attitude toward pre-cuts? I'm *almost* 40, and I *almost* don't buy pre-cuts. LOL!!

I think the girl was in her 20's......Hey, I'm 57......I feel antiquish!!!! lol lol..Is antiquish a word??? lol lol

No no - we are Mid Century Modern LOL

I'll take----Med Century Modern sounds better lol lol

ywoodruff5 08-19-2011 06:24 AM

I am sooooo LOL on that one. Ummmmmmm it takes me longer to go to sleep, get out of bed, walk to the mailbox, get dressed.....................yep everything takes longer as we age. :lol:

Minnisewta 08-19-2011 06:59 AM

I have slowed down because of the body and the brain has gotten foggy so I have think about things more before I do them. You know the old measure twice and cut once.

pollym44 08-19-2011 07:08 AM

Yes, Yes, what I use to do in days now takes weeks. Would need to live to be 255 yrs to use up fabric I have and find myself still buying.