Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Which dog to get (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-get-t73444.html)

bj 10-31-2010 02:07 PM

We got our last boxer thru a rescue group. He was year old, already house (mostly) and crate trained. He is such a sweety.

MamaHen 10-31-2010 02:51 PM

We found our Brandee on Pet Finder: she is approx a 2 yr old female lab, seems to have been abused, a puppy mill female, shot, and afraid. She has come a long way, no longer afraid of shotgun shots, housebroken very well, low maintance, minds very well, still learning to come when called. Feel that is because she was beat when she came on demand. So I feel I have saved a dog from a life from hell. She is a great companion, so consider a resuce that has seen hard times, give them a second chance at a new and wonderful, happy life. And I am over 60, she is not too much for older folks.

hperttula123 10-31-2010 03:05 PM

my mom got 4 of her dogs from a rescue group. She told thm that she wanted medium sized dogs and that they would be around kids...so they helped pick out the dogs with her and they also drove 3 hours to meet her half way with the dogs. They were all up to date with their vaccines, fixed, and kennel trained. They keep them in homes until they are really ready to go to someone. They make sure of it. She had great luck doing it that way and she got them when they were a little less than a year old so they were almost out of the puppy stage. If my cats ever decide they will allow a dog in the house, I would do it that way.

theoldgraymare 10-31-2010 03:21 PM

I have always had mixed breeds, from mostly lab to Heinz 57, and they are wonderful dogs. I applaud you for choosing to get a dog from a rescue group or a shelter. I would never go to a pet store or a breeder -- there are so many abandoned dogs just waiting for a loving forever home.

QuiltQtrs 10-31-2010 03:27 PM

My last dog was from Animal Shelter, and a beauty! He was part Collie,
part "Heinz " (unknown, but I think Golden Retreiver for his soft face features)
and he grew up to be a perfect "Lassie" look dog. One of my life's biggest
regrets has been giving him up to a friend when I made a move to another
state. If you can imagine my feelings ... just read "The Power of the Dog" by
Rudyard Kipling.

tdgiffin 10-31-2010 03:55 PM

Please look into Guardian Angels Bassett Rescue. We got our Basset from them. He is laid back and very loving. They make gret family dogs. there are also several seniors who need homes.

sewNso 10-31-2010 04:36 PM

we love our 'saved mixed lab'. in my avatar. my daughter got him when he was about 2. then he became ours when he was about 7. grandpa and i love him.

auntmag 10-31-2010 04:37 PM

I have a miniature poodle. Very sweet disposition. Poodles are high maintenance with regular grooming appointments. Our first poodle would stand very still and let me clip him but this one doesn't. Happy hunting. I would not be without a pet if I could help it.

Shelbie 10-31-2010 06:25 PM

I'd check out Cavalier King Charles Spaniels,(see Molly my avatar). They are very friendly, not hyper, need some grooming (ears) but not a lot. They are not yappy or nippy and love walks but are also content to curl up beside you in the sewing room. There are four distinct colours, white/goldy brown (Blenheim), tri-coloured, ruby (reddy gold) and black and tan (that's my Molly). She rarely barks, will not drag you around the block or eat your grandchildren. Just a great little pet.

SunQuilts 10-31-2010 06:32 PM

Wow, what a lot of suggestions! Clearly we all have our favorites. I have a lot to think about. I'll send progress reports. Thanks again.