Which dog to get

Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM

Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:18 AM

Have you looked at shelters? Petfinder.com is a wonderful source of pets avail in your area.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Do you want a "lay around the house" kind of dog?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

We just lost a springer spaniel mix. Had her for 15 years and she was a wonderful pet. Gentle and wonderful with the grand daughter.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
English Springer Spaniels are hunting dogs, very active at any age, need lots of exercise.
They are beautiful dogs.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 AM

Check your local shelters. Adult dogs have a very hard time finding homes because most people want a puppy. Plus, the shelter workers can work with you to get just the right dog for you!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Well, not completely "lay around the house" but not "run around the house" either - if that makes sense. I really just want a good companion dog to walk with and to keep me company on my sleepless nights. I am familiar with petfinder. I am hoping to find a dog in a rescue group. My real question is what breed fills the wish list I have described.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 AM

Your best bet may be a mixed breed rather than a purebred, they tend to be healthier without all the inbreeding that happens in most breeds.
Mixed breeds are also great companions.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:27 AM

English Bulldog (if you walk slow.)
Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Someday I want a Cocker Spaniel. I loved my Chesepeake, but she was way bigger than you want. My sister has a Corgie(sp) and she is a very neat dog.
I would also go to a shelter or a local dog rescue. I have always been lucky and have been given dogs when I was in need.