Which dog to get

Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by dryerlint
as i said before we adopted a dog from the humane society and we thought that she was just a heinz 57 we took her to the vet for her free checkup that the society gives out to your vet and we found out that she is a pretty rare breed of dog that hasnt been in our area in a very, very long time according to our vet she is a spumoni italiano. pretty fancy name for a pretty great dog have really gotten attached already and only have had her a week
OOOOHHHHH!!!! I love them! They look so cool! If you watch the dog shows, they have them on there. I can't imagine anyone surrendering one of them. My Great Dane I adopted was from a puppy mill, had at least 4 litters of puppies in 4 years. She is a wonderful dog; pure bred but 2 different colors mixed together. She is a mother, pure and simple; mothers anything and everything she sees, children, stuffed animals, other dogs.
Woody is the best breed that's ever owned us! We're totally hooked and wouldn't have another type. I know of a breeder in Texas, and when the economy gets better, we're going to get another....Hurry economy!!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
Please check out rescue groups. They have a lot of older dogs that need loving homes.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
I was at the library today, and picked up a magazine Caesar's Way. (?). Anyhow, it's by the fabulous dog trainer Caesar, and someone had written in a question about Spaniel Rage. He replied that unfortunately, it stems from poor breeding and it is a very real condition of spaniels. (not all, of course) They are prone to fits of unprovoked nasty rage, and that just about anything can set them off. I wish I had known this before I got one........... You might try to look Caesar up online.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster

I was at the library today, and picked up a magazine Caesar's Way. (?). Anyhow, it's by the fabulous dog trainer Caesar, and someone had written in a question about Spaniel Rage. He replied that unfortunately, it stems from poor breeding and it is a very real condition of spaniels. (not all, of course) They are prone to fits of unprovoked nasty rage, and that just about anything can set them off. I wish I had known this before I got one........... You might try to look Caesar up online.
He is the Dog Whisperer and has a TV show.