Which dog to get

Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I've heard that with Spaniels you have to keep an eye on their ears. The long hairy ears tend to hold moisture and can lead to ear infections (I had a lab mix with that problem). Other than that, I think Spaniels are lovely animals. I prefer lab/lab-mixes myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
How about a greyhound? They are just great big lazy couch potatoes, who need a slow walk daily. Here in Aust, we have an adoption agency for the retired racing greyhounds, and they can't be adopted out unless they pass a special test. MAybe worth looking into.
My brother adopted a retired racing greyhound and it is a wonderful pet. If I ever got a dog that is what I would get too.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM

How about a greyhound? They are just great big lazy couch potatoes, who need a slow walk daily. Here in Aust, we have an adoption agency for the retired racing greyhounds, and they can't be adopted out unless they pass a special test. MAybe worth looking into.
Greyhound slow walk? Had a friend who lived behind me in Calif who adopted one that was being retired, she needed exercising every other day. He would take her to a enclosed ballpark and let her loose to run to her hearts content. Was beautiful watching that dog run.
This dog was 4 - 5 years of age. They also tend to be larger dogs 65 - 75 pounds.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM

No, they need walking. Even greyhounds in training are walked every day. Yes they are larger, but they are soooo gentle, especially with children and the elderly.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 PM

I have heard that Greyhounds, while they need their exercise are real couch potatoes. If I ever got another dog that is what I would consider. But then, I would probably check the local shelter first, and fall in love with one of the dogs there!

Please check out your local shelter, there is someone there who would love to be loved by you.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Your best bet may be a mixed breed rather than a purebred, they tend to be healthier without all the inbreeding that happens in most breeds.
Mixed breeds are also great companions.
Mixed breeds are the best. We have a golden retirver/yellow lab mix and she is super sweet. But for a smaller dog beagle mixes are good. really almost any shelter dog is good. I think it is because they are so grateful to find a loving home. Whenever we adopt we don't go with a specific breed in mind. If the right dog is there it will"speak" to your heart and you will just know that is one for you.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Definitely a mix breed for all the reasons mentioned already. I've always had some kind of beagle mix, (beagle/collie, beagle/dobie, beagle/basset, now a beagle/hound--colors like a mini dobie.

As a kid we had dachshunds.

Hope you find a furbaby real soon. :-D
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM

No, they need walking. Even greyhounds in training are walked every day. Yes they are larger, but they are soooo gentle, especially with children and the elderly.
I agree they are great with kids, and older folk, but small animals like cats, NO WAY, they are trained to chase rabbit and will go after cats real fast as prey.
They are a muscle dog with huge hind ends (all muscle) to keep them in shape, they need exercise/running. It is what they were bred for - racing.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Definitely get an older dog. They've had time to be house broken, and are probably still looking for their owners, wondering why they are alone now, and will look on you as a wonderful friend.

For many years we took in adult, abused Dobermans (just till they could find a good home for them) and yes, they found a good home for them, we refused to give them up!! We had from one to three at any one one time. I was pack leader, more stubborn than they were, and they almost lived inside with us. They were members of the family, and took their jobs as guards seriously. My kids and I still talk about each one of them, and we'll miss them forever.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Another med to large breed that loves to be a companion is the Bloodhound. They are low on the grooming scale being short haired, prefer to walk over run and love everyone.