Which dog to get

Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
How about a greyhound? They are just great big lazy couch potatoes, who need a slow walk daily. Here in Aust, we have an adoption agency for the retired racing greyhounds, and they can't be adopted out unless they pass a special test. MAybe worth looking into.
So Lindyline beat me to it. I was going to suggest greyhounds too. They are terrific.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM

After having Kerry Blues for many years (medium size, no shedding), we got our last dog from the shelter. We wanted one with a terrier and/or poodle mix and so there was no shedding and a female. She looked just like 'Benjy'. Highly recommedn this type and female.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM

All else aside.....

Rescue, Absolutely.....and now that I have a non-shedding dog...I will never go back to a shedding dog...Well ,if I can help it. Like some of You have said...Sometimes the dog picks You. ! ! ! !

Annnnnnnnd my mixes have all been calmer and healthier dogs that the pure breds.

Right now I have 3 rescues.

Fossey... 11yr old N.C. blue tick hound /mix that was rescued from hurricane floyd area , N.C. by my Daughter,Cheryl.

Oreo,-----Dashund/chihuahua mix rescue from Memphis,TN. She had been abused and still has the burn scars from her
abuse.She is excellant pet and also a pet therapy dog ! ! !

Itty Bitty----- comes from Co. .We got her on vacation and she definately was not a planned event....but She has shown us that She wasn't in our vaca plans but She def. was in GOD'S plan . She is awesome and Doesn't shed.

LOVE Them All ! ! !! ! !

Oreo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116921[/ATTACH]

OREO and FOSSEY CUDDLING
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116924[/ATTACH]

ITTY BITTY on vaca to N.C. waiting at the table for supper to be shared...LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116925[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116916.jpe   attachment-116919.jpe   attachment-116920.jpe  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by lindyline
How about a greyhound? They are just great big lazy couch potatoes, who need a slow walk daily. Here in Aust, we have an adoption agency for the retired racing greyhounds, and they can't be adopted out unless they pass a special test. MAybe worth looking into.
So Lindyline beat me to it. I was going to suggest greyhounds too. They are terrific.
I too think retired greyhounds are the go....The adoption agencies we have in Australia foster them first, to get them home ready. Many do get along with cats and other smaller dogs and every effort is made so you get a perfect match for you and your family. I have always wanted either a greyhound or a lurcher, but my heart was stolen by little Topo...my chihuahua x jack russell. He was a shelter dog, but it took months and months of patience and care to get him settled and for him to realise he was safe with us. He was a thin, cowering, fear biter and for ages would not allow a man within two feet of him or me. Fortunately my husband and sons were really supportive and now he is a much happier, healthier little guy.

Good luck with your search and hope you find a new friend soon.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM

BTW.....

Oreo came thru PETFINDER.

SHE came thru a rescue group, called Canine Guardings for Life . They came to our house to confirm that our facts on the application were actually true .
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

google rescues and then the type of dog you are looking for.

I love our labradoodle, I am not an animal person yet she stole my heart when we got her 5 months ago. labradoodles will weigh about 40-60 lbs. and I understand there are a lot the need rescue.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM

I am geographically challenged, or I would be looking to Canine Companions for Independence or the like for one of their release dogs. They need homes for the dogs who get cut for one reason or another. You might check into it....
Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM

I run a small Italian Greyhound rescue in Tulsa, and deal alot with the North Texas Italian Greyhound Club of America rescue. I'm not sure they are the dog you are looking for, as they're smaller.

Big greys are great if you are able to take a walk, or have a large enough yard for them to run in- and range from 55-85 lbs.

I would go to Petfinder.com. All reputable rescues use Petfinder. You can sort by your zip code, age, size, etc.

Also, if you work with a rescue that fosters dogs, you get a whole lot more information about the dog, good and bad- but a foster mother (or father) knows the dog much better than a shelter- what are they like in a home? Would they deal well with being an only dog- a good rescue person is looking both for the best fit for you, and for the dog, and will work with you to find that good fit.

Good luck. PM me if you would like help with your search.

maggie
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 AM

I am partial to Pointer/Labs! Bess is a good dog - almost 8 years old now! She was a free dog. All the farmer wanted was that someone would love her. Actually, the female had 11 puppies and they were all spoken for. Bess' sister is owned by our son and daughter in law. There is something about a "mutt" that is special. But you have to be willing to sign over your home, your refrigerator, anything that is on the counter in the kitchen, not to mention table, waste basket - in any room - and most of all your heart. It doesn't matter what dog you get. It is the training that makes the dog and the love you give it. Dogs love unconditionally, we don't! When we take on the responsibility of a dog or cat for that matter, we are allowing them to trust us implicitly and that is what makes a dog a member of the family. Our next door neighbor took an American Staffordshire Terrier as a rescue dog. He is loved, cared for, played with, you name it. He has the most gentle mouth you could imagine. He loves carrots. I should know - I have to buy them every week for him - An American Staffordshire Terrier is better known (or worse known) as a Pit Bull. Whatever you get, you will make him/her. How he/she turns out is totally up to you. It kills me to see an owner with their dog and the dog flinches. It has been hit and I cannot tolerate that! Love your dog and she will love you back - no ground rules, no nothing, just pure unadulterated love. Enjoy. Edie
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM

Why not another Chow? We've had five and loved them all! My last one had to be put to sleep four weeks ago and it broke my heart, but if and when we get another dog I'm sure it will be another Chow. They are wonderful!