Which dog to get

Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
I say, let the dog pick you. Save a life, go to a shelter. Let the dogs look at you, take them out for a stroll around the premises, and see how you like each other. Most shelters are great at listening to what you are looking for and then make recommendations. When I was looking for a dog, my requirement was that I didn't have to bend over to pet him, or her. I ended up with a Rottweiler mix AND a Great Dane. Both are rescues and wonderful with my grandchildren.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Check out your rescues......www.petfinder.com Michele
Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 AM

Please rescue a pet from the shelter- They have all breeds or go through you vet.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 AM

Get a Beagle! Quiet. Loving. Just a nice dog. Never thought we'd want anything but a German Shepherd but after our first Beagle, I'm sold.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 AM

Wow! a Springer Spaniel will be a high activity dog! here's my suggestion; make a list of things you're looking for in a dog- based on your lifestyle. then spend some time researching different breeds, there's a rescue for every breed out there.
For instance I have always had large breeds; shepards, labs, colllies, ect. When my Felicia passed I knew I wanted a large dog, but non agressive, a companion dog that didn't require alot of exercise, as I was horribly fat. Some one to lay on the couch & eat cookies with, no digging no shedding. So I did some research and ended up with a Greyhound. They're medium to large inside dogs, non agressive breed, and mostly only need 20 or 40 mins of exercise a day. they are big couch potatoes. My Male was 85 lbs, and my female is 50. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
May I suggest a rescue Greyhound? They are wonderful dogs, happy to finally have a home where they can be spoiled and they are very quiet. Some folks think they require lots of exercise but my Jenny B who passed was more then content to curl up into a tiny ball on the couch and go for short walks.

Most Greyhounds aren't noisy dogs either but they are not "protection" dogs. They love everyone. Oh, and though they are tall, they are not heavy. Well compaired to a Poodle I guess they are but I prefer a dog I can see and one that won't trip me up.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 AM

Springers are wonderful dogs. I used to raise them and I love them. They have a wonderful even temper and are so loving. Great with kids too if you ever have any of those around. They are very loyal and would be your friend for life. The best dog we ever had was a Springer and my husband loved him till the day he died. Such a great breed!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:21 AM

I always choose the least likely to be adopted. And it always works out well. Always had huge dogs, but am now seventy years old and had to "downsize". Lost my companion last year (Big big big) and took in not one, but two, little ones. (Brother and sister). Didn't have the heart o separate them. They are a joy!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 AM

I have two Keeshounds & belong to a rescue group for them because one of mine is a rescue. These dogs were originally companion dogs on the barges in Holland. They are great companions & will talk to you (not bark) it actually sounds like they are talking. Good Luck on your search
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by chance
I always choose the least likely to be adopted. And it always works out well. Always had huge dogs, but am now seventy years old and had to "downsize". Lost my companion last year (Big big big) and took in not one, but two, little ones. (Brother and sister). Didn't have the heart o separate them. They are a joy!
Thank you so much for doing that >>>>

We have six rescue dogs of various shapes, sizes and breed mixes at present and each one is so special. Our dogs always seem to show up, so to speak, when the time is right. The barn where I board two of my horses also does animal rescue and most of my dogs, and cats, have come from there. We never worry about breed, though we are limited to smaller or mid size dogs because we have a small house. A couple are "special needs" - one had his right hip badly injured before we got him and tends to "crab" when he walks, and one is a double merle aussie who is deaf and has limited vision. We have never regretted taking in any of our dogs.

As other posters have said, go visit a rescue and I can almost guarantee that the right dog will select you ;-) The one thing I have definitely noticed is that the worse the start the dog has had in life, the more love it will give you.