Which dog to get

Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM

Please look into a shelter dog, there are so many that need good homes and larger black dogs are often not adopted. Please, please please check them out!!! :thumbup:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

So - sounds like a dog I would like - big enough so that it isn't overly fragile, reasonably healthy, active enough to want to go on walks, but not hyper and knock you over or drag one down the path - interested in being companionable - ??
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM

bearisgray - you nailed it! Sounds exactly what I want! Now to find one. My neighbor is trying to persuade me to get a Sheltie but I have reservations about the size (kind of small) - and the hair! I have no problem with shedding (our Max shed year round) but Shelties have such a lot of hair.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
bearisgray - you nailed it! Sounds exactly what I want! Now to find one. My neighbor is trying to persuade me to get a Sheltie but I have reservations about the size (kind of small) - and the hair! I have no problem with shedding (our Max shed year round) but Shelties have such a lot of hair.
Shelties are also HIGH ENERGY I have 2 that are 4 years old.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Sleep on the bed with you? allowed on the furniture?

or not?

I agree to check local shelters, rescues or humane societies. We adopted Max from the humane society and will definitely do that again should the time come that we want another. After having him, I am definitely partial to labs and lab mixes, and you can find them smaller than Max's 65 lbs. Labs do not need to be bathed often, which is a plus for us since our other dog has to be groomed regularly. I understand wanting an older dog, well out of the puppy stage. Whatever you decide, do some research on a site like dogbreedinfo.com or greatdogsite.com. Good luck deciding and let us know what you get!

Well, I am partial to English Setters... we call them fireside dogs. They like to be where you are and will lay at your feet. They do like to go on walks and have some room to run once in a while. Ours do hunt, but that isn't necessary with them. They are great companion dogs, with a gentle and loveing temperment. Great with other dogs and children.
A female is generally around 50 pounds. there are two strains... we like the Lewellen strain, because they are smaller and dont have the super long hair like the Lavereck line.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:55 AM
JJs
Banned

poodles! A miniature since you don't want tiny - we have an adult handicapped daughter and her two 'children' - two 5 lb toy poodles - I found them online - retired breeders, already spayed, etc when we got them...
she sits and holds them for hours and hours while she watches tv or plays on the computer..

(I know some on here think I don't have dogs because I expect dogs to behave - as a matter of fact we have THREE (3) inside dogs... they do behave.... and they are not mistreated but they are not the alpha dog in the house either.. :thumbup:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Sleep on the bed with you? allowed on the furniture?

or not?
Mine are spoiled - they jump up on the bed, sofa, etc.
They do require brushing as their hair will mat up if not cared for.
Shelties are pretty dogs, just need tons of running time, they love to run. I have one that if you are not watching will run right up under your feet and that can be dangerous at times.
They are a herding breed and will attempt to Herd anyone or anything that is mobile.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

How about a greyhound? They are just great big lazy couch potatoes, who need a slow walk daily. Here in Aust, we have an adoption agency for the retired racing greyhounds, and they can't be adopted out unless they pass a special test. MAybe worth looking into.