Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-owners-about-washing-kitchen-floors-what-do-you-recommend-t252861.html)

sjdal 09-02-2014 05:42 AM

Some caution about the Swiffer chemicals and pets. I bought a mop at Dollar General that has removeable pads. I bought several, and throw them in the wash weekly. I also use a towel during very wet weather, and my dog rolls over, when I say, lets wipe your feet. A dog biscuit is always the reward. I only use plain water. My dog is too precious to ever chance a chemical. Also, beware, grapes, onions, and garlic are killers for dogs.

Sewnoma 09-02-2014 06:01 AM

Old towels are a dog owner's best friend.

When it's muddy out, I lay a couple in front of the back door to catch the worst of it. When I see tracks, I stand on one of the towels and shuffle my way over the tracks and then toss it in the wash.

Is the floor perfectly clean? Heck no. But it's clean enough until the next set of tracks get laid down. I have probably 20 "dog towels" I keep in the laundry room.

tessagin 09-02-2014 06:05 AM

I love the micro fiber cloths my DH gets to wash his truck and my jeep. I just clamp them on to a Swiffer mop I have and use those. I use them for dishes also which are kept in a separate drawer with dish towels. The others are in a rag drawer. I use white vinegar and a teaspoon of Dawn on my floors (kitchen and bath). If I could find any Spic 'n' Span I'd use it. I'm not going to order it on line.

mandyrose 09-02-2014 06:16 AM

I have the shark steam mop I use once a week just add water no chemicals and then just use old towels for muddy paw prints and spills lay towels on floor and push with my feet

feffertim 09-02-2014 06:48 AM

I also use washable micro fiber pads on my swiffer, Kmart also sells their brand of pads for the swiffer wet mop that are a whole lot cheaper than swiffer pads. I also use a solution of white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and blue dawn and that works well. I have a rick if you want to fill the swiffer bottle with your own solution. If you bring a small amount of water to boil in a small pot and put the top of the bottle in it for a few seconds, you can remove the cap and fill it with anything

Caswews 09-02-2014 06:53 AM

I have just a foam mop and I use vinegar and dawn for mopping the floors on those "mud " days when you can see the dog prints on the floor. Also have a carpet piece then a towel for my avatar to step on and get her mud wiped off ..

fayeberry 09-02-2014 07:04 AM

My dogs get a belly rub and paw wipe every time it's wet outdoors. I keep an old wash cloth on my wood kitchen floor to get up little drops. To clean it well, just wet wash cloth/hands and knees.

cherrio 09-02-2014 07:32 AM

I have 4 dogs that burst thru the door all at once rain or shine and a white kitchen floor. . So my libman mop with 3 extra washable pads is my favorite tool during rainy weather!

Annaquilts 09-02-2014 07:38 AM

It is easier to clean the dog's paws then the floor.

Normabeth 09-02-2014 07:56 AM

I use a steamer with only water, no chemicals. My dog likes to like the floor -so I have to keep it safe.