Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is doing something that scares you , always a good thing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doing-something-scares-you-always-good-thing-t143530.html)

Tartan 08-08-2011 04:30 AM

My son got me a GPS and I love it. I don't worry anymore about getting lost. If you don't have one, travel with a good map and a cell phone. With a cell phone, help is only one call away. You can do it!

May in Jersey 08-08-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Harness your anxiety by putting it to use: pack extra bottles of water for the trip, take a little extra cash, more than you had planned; pack an emergency bag with items you might need like candy bars, a blanket, flashlight, extra batteries, cookies, bandaids, a hat, a couple paperback books to read, etc. Make a list and check it twice. Leave your address and phone number with two friends, make a plan to call them when you arrive in Germany, or a designated time. Then, have a cup of camomile tea and get some sleep.

Great advice - and good for you to plan the trip, have a Great Time, May in Jersey

sueisallaboutquilts 08-08-2011 04:40 AM

To answer your question, yes. And I think you will return feeling very confident! :thumbup:
Have a great trip!

mom-6 08-08-2011 05:38 AM

I've not driven in another country, but I have driven from Mississippi to California by myself and Georgia to Texas with 5 small children (much more difficult although shorter.
You can do it! Be sure to find a place to rest before you get too tired.

jmabby 08-08-2011 06:03 AM

You will do fine. When I first got my divorce I just did everything I could afford. You will find many new friends and enjoy every minute of it, forget the fear. God is with you.

valsma 08-08-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by melissa Dove
I'm feeling really nervous as I prepare to drive to Germany early tomorrow. I have driven in europe before but its the first time since I split with my ex. I know that I have to just rely on myself but its hard and a little bit scary. I'm hoping that once I return I will feel more confident. Wish me luck .

I can't tell you if it is always a good thing to do something that scares you, but I think we all need to face fears in our lives or we will be afraid of everything. When it is a fear you get like say for bungee jumping, that is your mind saying "what are you thinking!"
I think the idea of driving to Germany is one of the safest fears you can face. You will do fine. Good luck.

janell2009 08-08-2011 06:24 AM

As the saying goes, You just have to walk thru the fire...

ontheriver 08-08-2011 07:17 AM

I've never driven in Europe, heck, never even been there, but I drive all over the US by myself. I like to travel by myself. I can sing to the radio with no one to complain, I can stop when ever and where ever I like, eat when I want, and take any little side trips that pop up. You will do fine, enjoy the trip.

Granny Quilter 08-08-2011 07:21 AM

You can do it!

flowerjoy 08-08-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Good luck! You'll do great!

Fear is a natural, important biological response. It makes us sharper and more attentive. It can help us get through new or difficult circumstances successfully.

So it's good to be a bit nervous - it means you're going on a new adventure! :)

beautifully said.