Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Is doing something that scares you , always a good thing?

  1. #1
    Member melissa Dove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Glasgow scotland (now in Colchester)
    Posts
    91
    I'm feeling really nervous as I prepare to drive to Germany early tomorrow. I have driven in europe before but its the first time since I split with my ex. I know that I have to just rely on myself but its hard and a little bit scary. I'm hoping that once I return I will feel more confident. Wish me luck .

  2. #2
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    Good luck! You'll do great!

    Fear is a natural, important biological response. It makes us sharper and more attentive. It can help us get through new or difficult circumstances successfully.

    So it's good to be a bit nervous - it means you're going on a new adventure! :)

  3. #3
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    You will do fine, stay calm and enjoy the drive. :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Super Member sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    playing with fabric in Louisiana
    Posts
    3,378
    You will be fine. Get those first miles under your belt and the rest should go easy. Be Safe and Good Luck. :)

  5. #5
    Senior Member yonnikka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Michigan
    Posts
    775
    Harness your anxiety by putting it to use: pack extra bottles of water for the trip, take a little extra cash, more than you had planned; pack an emergency bag with items you might need like candy bars, a blanket, flashlight, extra batteries, cookies, bandaids, a hat, a couple paperback books to read, etc. Make a list and check it twice. Leave your address and phone number with two friends, make a plan to call them when you arrive in Germany, or a designated time. Then, have a cup of camomile tea and get some sleep.

  6. #6
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    Have a wonderful trip. Sometimes being scared just helps us be more aware of what we are doing and that can be a very good thing.

  7. #7
    Super Member great aunt jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    new hampshire
    Posts
    1,569
    starting is the scariest step. Once you are on the road it will be easier believe me. you will do great.

  8. #8
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,030
    Wishing you a safe and fun trip! I drove about 1100 miles each way alone in June. 1st time to go so far alone in YEARS! It actually was nice to be able to stop anytime/anywhere I wanted LOL

  9. #9
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    873
    Me too. A lot of firsts for me since losing DH last summer....but every time I do something by myself that I never had to do before, it builds up that much more confidence.

    Go for it, have a great time, this is your chance to be free!

    A little bit of nervousness is a good thing, but you'll be so proud of yourself afterwards!

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Wishing you a safe and fun trip! I drove about 1100 miles each way alone in June. 1st time to go so far alone in YEARS! It actually was nice to be able to stop anytime/anywhere I wanted LOL

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    220
    I know you will be fine and put your anxiety away and just move forward. And as the other ladies said, you will be so proud of yourself for making the journey.

    Blessings to you.

    sandy14

  11. #11
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30,819
    My son got me a GPS and I love it. I don't worry anymore about getting lost. If you don't have one, travel with a good map and a cell phone. With a cell phone, help is only one call away. You can do it!

  12. #12
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by yonnikka
    Harness your anxiety by putting it to use: pack extra bottles of water for the trip, take a little extra cash, more than you had planned; pack an emergency bag with items you might need like candy bars, a blanket, flashlight, extra batteries, cookies, bandaids, a hat, a couple paperback books to read, etc. Make a list and check it twice. Leave your address and phone number with two friends, make a plan to call them when you arrive in Germany, or a designated time. Then, have a cup of camomile tea and get some sleep.
    Great advice - and good for you to plan the trip, have a Great Time, May in Jersey

  13. #13
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    To answer your question, yes. And I think you will return feeling very confident! :thumbup:
    Have a great trip!

  14. #14
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I've not driven in another country, but I have driven from Mississippi to California by myself and Georgia to Texas with 5 small children (much more difficult although shorter.
    You can do it! Be sure to find a place to rest before you get too tired.

  15. #15
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    You will do fine. When I first got my divorce I just did everything I could afford. You will find many new friends and enjoy every minute of it, forget the fear. God is with you.

  16. #16
    Super Member valsma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,625
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa Dove
    I'm feeling really nervous as I prepare to drive to Germany early tomorrow. I have driven in europe before but its the first time since I split with my ex. I know that I have to just rely on myself but its hard and a little bit scary. I'm hoping that once I return I will feel more confident. Wish me luck .
    I can't tell you if it is always a good thing to do something that scares you, but I think we all need to face fears in our lives or we will be afraid of everything. When it is a fear you get like say for bungee jumping, that is your mind saying "what are you thinking!"
    I think the idea of driving to Germany is one of the safest fears you can face. You will do fine. Good luck.

  17. #17
    Senior Member janell2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    419
    As the saying goes, You just have to walk thru the fire...

  18. #18
    Super Member ontheriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selma Alabama
    Posts
    3,670
    I've never driven in Europe, heck, never even been there, but I drive all over the US by myself. I like to travel by myself. I can sing to the radio with no one to complain, I can stop when ever and where ever I like, eat when I want, and take any little side trips that pop up. You will do fine, enjoy the trip.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Granny Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    WY
    Posts
    995
    You can do it!

  20. #20
    Senior Member flowerjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rural Kansas
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Good luck! You'll do great!

    Fear is a natural, important biological response. It makes us sharper and more attentive. It can help us get through new or difficult circumstances successfully.

    So it's good to be a bit nervous - it means you're going on a new adventure! :)
    beautifully said.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Pack a copy of your passport in a different place to where you are carrying your actual passport. If it's lost or stolen, (heaven forbid) you will have the copy to help you sort out a replacement or temporary document.

    Enjoy your trip.

  22. #22
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,191
    Blog Entries
    9
    You can do this!!!!

  23. #23
    Senior Member Quiltinggma-nc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    626
    Good luck with your drive.

  24. #24
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    You did it before! Good Going! the only difference is you don't have your ex with you to distract you this time. go... have a great time,

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,604
    Blog Entries
    14
    good luck!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.