Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   is donating a quilted item really an act of charity? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/donating-quilted-item-really-act-charity-t262512.html)

lynnie 03-13-2015 12:30 PM

I have to chime in again. I just made and donted about 13 or so NICU quilts. it's under requests here. also made a full size quilt for REd garnet for a golf outing auction for the Juven. diabetes assoc. that's all donating and going for a good cause. so yes. donating counts. I do it coz I want to help. they are both under requests, and the NICU quilts can be as small as 12 x 12. A block. It can make a difference in a families hardship of a NICU baby.

redquilter 03-13-2015 12:45 PM

To me, whatever a person gives from the heart is an act of kindness and love.

JoantheQuilter 03-13-2015 12:46 PM

Quilts for Charity

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 7125905)
Please don't attempt to twist my words. My words were 'items not good enough for family or friends'.

No one appreciates being thought of as inferior and only deserving of something no one else wants. True charity involves more than just giving. It involves caring about about the ones, to whom you give. True charity is giving help, without taking away dignity. There's nothing wrong with giving items no longer of use to the giver, as long as they can still be used/worn with dignity by the receiver.

I agree wholeheartedly, Neesie.

My 'pet peeve' is hearing someone say: "This quilt is just awful. The fabric is stiff, the points don't match! I don't like it one bit, SO I WILL GIVE IT TO CHARITY." A quilt given to 'charity' should be just as loved as if we were making it for a family member.

Dawn Marie 03-13-2015 12:56 PM

What size are your quilts for kids? I would like to do the same,but here in Casa grande,Az

tessagin 03-13-2015 12:58 PM

I have seen that no matter what is donated, the recipients are always grateful and appreciate you thought of them. Every little bit helps.

wildyard 03-13-2015 02:54 PM

ManiacQuilter2, I am very interested in your cause of quiltmaking for the foster camp. Can you post a contact person or site for myself and others who might be interested also?
I would love to learn more about this and possibly add it to my list of causes to promote!
Hugs and smiles of thanks

Panchita 03-14-2015 03:11 AM

I want to be Sewnoma when I grow up - her post reflects my thoughts on this very eloquently.

I do also agree that charity should not be dumping ground - anything that you pass to charity shops etc. should be of a quality that you would be happy to use/gift yourself if you had need of the item. I'm not sure whether that was a point that the original poster intended, but it is worth bearing in mind.

:)

bearisgray 03-14-2015 06:18 AM

My original point was - is making items for charity/donation/gifts to unknown people - self-serving because I enjoy doing it so much and it is an excuse to go shopping to replenish supplies

Or

Am I being truly altruistic?

My answer - no, I am not being completely altruistic because I get a lot of benefit from making them. ( not in terms of income, though!)

It is, in my opinion, actually a win- win situation

Neesie 03-14-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7127019)
My original point was - is making items for charity/donation/gifts to unknown people - self-serving because I enjoy doing it so much and it is an excuse to go shopping to replenish supplies

Or

Am I being truly altruistic?

My answer - no, I am not being completely altruistic because I get a lot of benefit from making them. ( not in terms of income, though!)

It is, in my opinion, actually a win- win situation

That reminds me of a question, a friend and I were pondering years ago. We're taught to have humility BUT if one takes pride in having humility, doesn't that negate the humility? :shock: :D

Latrinka 03-14-2015 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 7126406)
ManiacQuilter2, I am very interested in your cause of quiltmaking for the foster camp. Can you post a contact person or site for myself and others who might be interested also?
I would love to learn more about this and possibly add it to my list of causes to promote!
Hugs and smiles of thanks

Go to home page and there is a requests forum.