Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
is donating a quilted item really an act of charity? >

is donating a quilted item really an act of charity?

is donating a quilted item really an act of charity?

Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Default is donating a quilted item really an act of charity?

Or an excuse/reason to let me indulge more in my hobby/recreation/passion?

No call on any one else here -

but sometimes I think a. Food shelf could use the money better than I did when I bought more quilting/sewing supplies.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I think it is. I make quilts for foster kids mostly. When they attend this summer camp, they are given a quilt and a pillow case. Some of them arrive at camp with only the clothes on their backs. So this is all anonymously but I like to think that I am giving a child a beautiful quilt that will belong to THEM so at least as they are growing up, they will remember that someone really does care about them.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 AM

I believe one's personal motives determine whether or not it's truly charity. If one uses charity as an excuse to get rid of items 'not good enough for friends or family,' then it seems more an act of disposal, than charity.
On the other hand, emotional needs are often overlooked, when people donate food. I believe quilts and other symbols of comfort, help to fill that need.

Last edited by Neesie; 03-12-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:33 AM

You can drive yourself crazy with that kind of thinking.

Is it more important to feed someone for a day? Or make them feel warm and loved for a year? Or what about medicine, maybe sick people need help more. If you spend time visiting with the elderly, are you "wasting" time that should be used helping a child learn to read? What about donating cat food to a shelter, is it better to help people? If I have $5 to donate, should I give $1 to five charities, or all $5 to one charity? Do I take care of local people, or help people far away who are worse off? If I have a single mom with five kids on one side and an elderly lady living on food stamps on the other side, which neighbor do I cook extra meals for?

No one person can take care of everybody and everything that needs help. So we each pick a thing or two or three that resonate with us personally and spend our time/energy/money there and hope all the bases get covered. Personally, I do a mix of things. I donate cash, food, quilts, and physical labor to a variety of places all year 'round. Some focus on the local community at large, some focus on elderly, children, animals, or people who are ill. And I do a walk-a-thon once a year for the local hospice. Some of it is done through my employer, some through my guild, some through community programs, and some on my own.

I WANT to get involved with the local convalescent hospital, the one my DH's grandmother lived in until she passed away. My FIL has continued to visit with the ladies there even though his mom is now gone, and I think that's wonderful and so I've asked him to find out if they could use some quilts, or maybe some small washable things to serve as bibs, or things like that. It's not a very cheerful place and I'd like to help brighten it up a bit. Maybe even some cheery wall hangings would be welcome - I hope I can do *something* for them.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Well said!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
You can drive yourself crazy with that kind of thinking.

Is it more important to feed someone for a day? Or make them feel warm and loved for a year? Or what about medicine, maybe sick people need help more. If you spend time visiting with the elderly, are you "wasting" time that should be used helping a child learn to read? What about donating cat food to a shelter, is it better to help people? If I have $5 to donate, should I give $1 to five charities, or all $5 to one charity? Do I take care of local people, or help people far away who are worse off? If I have a single mom with five kids on one side and an elderly lady living on food stamps on the other side, which neighbor do I cook extra meals for?

No one person can take care of everybody and everything that needs help. So we each pick a thing or two or three that resonate with us personally and spend our time/energy/money there and hope all the bases get covered. Personally, I do a mix of things. I donate cash, food, quilts, and physical labor to a variety of places all year 'round. Some focus on the local community at large, some focus on elderly, children, animals, or people who are ill. And I do a walk-a-thon once a year for the local hospice. Some of it is done through my employer, some through my guild, some through community programs, and some on my own.

I WANT to get involved with the local convalescent hospital, the one my DH's grandmother lived in until she passed away. My FIL has continued to visit with the ladies there even though his mom is now gone, and I think that's wonderful and so I've asked him to find out if they could use some quilts, or maybe some small washable things to serve as bibs, or things like that. It's not a very cheerful place and I'd like to help brighten it up a bit. Maybe even some cheery wall hangings would be welcome - I hope I can do *something* for them.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 AM

I think making quilts for charity is a WIN-WIN. It makes me happy to make them and hopefully the recipient is happy to get it. It also makes me feel good to give money to other causes---same thing to me.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Some one close to me once said "I can't help the whole world but I can help my little corner"! I sincerely believe this and have donated things, quilts, labor, etc, to local places and things.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM

"You can drive yourself crazy with that kind of thinking."

Totally agree. What's most important is that you give…worrying about how much and to whom and why is unproductive. Do what you can, it's more than enough...
Old 03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Whos to say that the person who rec'd it didn't need something to keep them warm. Maybe the neighbor gave them food. but they had no bedding.
give what you can. That type of thinking will drive us all crazy.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
Well said!
A big Ditto