Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Lenghtening the hem in linen pants/getting rid of that crease?

Lenghtening the hem in linen pants/getting rid of that crease?

Long shot but I bought a pair of good quality linen pants that would be perfect if I could let the hem down one inch. I have no experience with linen and my questions are 1. Would the hole from my removing the original stitching close up some after laundering and 2. How could I best get rid of the crease that is currently the bottom of the hem? I don't want to keep them if I can do this right but don't know if what I am asking is possible. Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

Power Poster
    It really depends on if the linen pants are new or if they have been worn enough for the crease to get dirty. Flatten the hem edge as much as possible and look to see if there is any discoloration on the hemline. If there is discoloration, I wouldn't bother with them. If all looks good, then take them down and press with a damp facecloth to see if the lines come out. If so, re-hem at the new height. If not, just hem them back to the original line.

Blog Entries
    I don't know as I have ever re-hemed linen, but for other fabrics I have removed the original crease by wetting it with white vinegar and press it out. For some reason it works better than just wetting it with water.

Blog Entries
    I also have used white vinegar. Press from the inside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshe View Post
    I don't know as I have ever re-hemed linen, but for other fabrics I have removed the original crease by wetting it with white vinegar and press it out. For some reason it works better than just wetting it with water.
    this was my first thought, too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

White vinegar to the rescue all the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I also have used white vinegar. Press from the inside.
    Ditto! We always used vinegar on knit clothing and others to remove hem creases. Never tried it on linen.

Should the hemline remain stubborn to remove, you might try applying a thin cording or decorative braid over it with a whip stitch or zigzag (think invisible thread) in the same color or a complementary color. Even a row or two of beads would be pretty.

Thanks all! I should have clarified that these are new pants that I can return, but rarely find things that fit my body type so well. If I try the vinegar Ill let you know how comes out, thanks much!

White vinegar is great for ironing that dreaded crease in slacks and jeans, also a cup in the wash machine makes clothes whiter and softer.

Blog Entries
    I use white vinegar as well for taking a crease out. I must add another use for white vinegar to this post.
    I use vinegar in my sink for odors also. However I must say my best and now favorite use of white vinegar was when I had shingles and (the pain and itch are awful) I was using vinegar in my sink, the itch from the shingles was giving me fits at the time, I had tried everything else, and thought why not try vinegar, it was handy at the moment- well it worked the itch stopped instantly for a while. Each time I began itching again I went to the vinegar. IT was definitely a blessing - for those who are fortunate enough to have never had shingles you have no idea what they are like-I pray you never have to endure them.

I wish we had a "like" button on the board, because I would "Like" your comment, Gerbie!! Good hint.
    Alyce

WOW Thanks for the update. I used white vinegar to keep my swamp cooler free of rust.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Do your linen pants have a tag in them for how to launder? Sometimes linen clothing will say dry clean only.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshe View Post
    This is the method my mom always used.

I've heard using vinegar works to get the crease out.

If you're letting the hem down just one inch, you can stitch your new hem over the top of the creased area. I've done this numerous times on other types of pants and you can hardly tell anything was done.

Blog Entries
    Same as quiltingshe

The Downey Wrinkle Releaser spray is also very good for removing wrinkles and creases in fabric.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario