Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lenghtening the hem in linen pants/getting rid of that crease? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lenghtening-hem-linen-pants-getting-rid-crease-t262487.html)

Susan7639 03-11-2015 01:42 PM

Lenghtening the hem in linen pants/getting rid of that crease?

Long shot but I bought a pair of good quality linen pants that would be perfect if I could let the hem down one inch. I have no experience with linen and my questions are 1. Would the hole from my removing the original stitching close up some after laundering and 2. How could I best get rid of the crease that is currently the bottom of the hem? I don't want to keep them if I can do this right but don't know if what I am asking is possible. Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

Tartan 03-11-2015 04:27 PM

It really depends on if the linen pants are new or if they have been worn enough for the crease to get dirty. Flatten the hem edge as much as possible and look to see if there is any discoloration on the hemline. If there is discoloration, I wouldn't bother with them. If all looks good, then take them down and press with a damp facecloth to see if the lines come out. If so, re-hem at the new height. If not, just hem them back to the original line.

quiltingshe 03-11-2015 04:46 PM

I don't know as I have ever re-hemed linen, but for other fabrics I have removed the original crease by wetting it with white vinegar and press it out. For some reason it works better than just wetting it with water.

barny 03-11-2015 04:56 PM

I also have used white vinegar. Press from the inside.

QuiltnNan 03-11-2015 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshe (Post 7124267)
I don't know as I have ever re-hemed linen, but for other fabrics I have removed the original crease by wetting it with white vinegar and press it out. For some reason it works better than just wetting it with water.

this was my first thought, too

NJ Quilter 03-11-2015 06:46 PM

White vinegar to the rescue all the time.

nanacc 03-11-2015 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 7124285)
I also have used white vinegar. Press from the inside.

Ditto! We always used vinegar on knit clothing and others to remove hem creases. Never tried it on linen.

adamae 03-11-2015 08:23 PM

Should the hemline remain stubborn to remove, you might try applying a thin cording or decorative braid over it with a whip stitch or zigzag (think invisible thread) in the same color or a complementary color. Even a row or two of beads would be pretty.

Susan7639 03-12-2015 03:17 AM

Thanks all! I should have clarified that these are new pants that I can return, but rarely find things that fit my body type so well. If I try the vinegar Ill let you know how comes out, thanks much!

misspriss 03-12-2015 03:33 AM

White vinegar is great for ironing that dreaded crease in slacks and jeans, also a cup in the wash machine makes clothes whiter and softer.