Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   ♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dont-forget-get-your-pets-annual-shots-t156575.html)

Zhillslady 09-29-2011 11:42 AM

As a former vet tech I agree with you. I have watched animals die from so many preventable diseases. Parvo is somethig horrible to waste away from. I've also had to treat cats that were bitten by some type of animal and they were not up to date on rabies vaccines so had to undergo a series of shots "just in case". My cat is highly allergic to the FVRCP vaccine so she has it separate from all other shots and takes an allergy injection prior. Sounds crazy but having almost lost her to pneumonia twice I get her vaccinated instead.

FYI - one post talked about heartworms just in dogs. Cats are just as much at risk as dogs. In fact a firned has a pet monkey which also gets heartworm prevention.

Originally Posted by Stitcher317
My hubby is a veterinarian. If you ever sat and watched an animal die from Parvo or Distemper you might change your opinion. Vaccines prevent this. States require vaccination against rabies for a reason, it works and it saves lives! All veterinarians practicing in this country today are trained and licensed to provide every service ranging from basic health exams to complicated surgeries covering almost every specialty. Yes, good medicine is costly. In over 40 years of practicing small animal medicine he tells me he has never had an animal die from a reaction to a vaccine.

dreamboat 09-29-2011 11:44 AM

Don't have any so I don't have to be bothered with it.

Victoria L 09-29-2011 12:05 PM

I just had my Shih Tzu Penny vaccinated last week. She was sleepy for a couple of days. Sophie is cute. :)

GGJudy 09-29-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
As a former vet tech I agree with you. I have watched animals die from so many preventable diseases. Parvo is somethig horrible to waste away from. I've also had to treat cats that were bitten by some type of animal and they were not up to date on rabies vaccines so had to undergo a series of shots "just in case". My cat is highly allergic to the FVRCP vaccine so she has it separate from all other shots and takes an allergy injection prior. Sounds crazy but having almost lost her to pneumonia twice I get her vaccinated instead.

FYI - one post talked about heartworms just in dogs. Cats are just as much at risk as dogs. In fact a firned has a pet monkey which also gets heartworm prevention.

Originally Posted by Stitcher317
My hubby is a veterinarian. If you ever sat and watched an animal die from Parvo or Distemper you might change your opinion. Vaccines prevent this. States require vaccination against rabies for a reason, it works and it saves lives! All veterinarians practicing in this country today are trained and licensed to provide every service ranging from basic health exams to complicated surgeries covering almost every specialty. Yes, good medicine is costly. In over 40 years of practicing small animal medicine he tells me he has never had an animal die from a reaction to a vaccine.

I am not saying Not to vaccinate your pets. What I am saying is that yearly vaccinations are not necessary (except where mandated). Your pet carries an immunity from his series of puppy shots and then the one year shot for a long time for most diseases. To vaccinate them yearly is not necessary and has the effect of weakening their immune system. Most of your forward thinking vet schools recognize this but vets are very slow to change. It's the drug companies that push for yearly vaccinations and lets face it.... it's the vet's bread and butter. The titers test can be given to determine just which immunities are still active in your dogs. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/category/titertesting/ I do advocate a yearly checkup with your vet.

pugmom 09-29-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie
For nearly 20 years I haven't given annual shots to any of my dogs. It has been proven that annual shots contribute greatly to immune related illnesses in dogs and cats. For the first 10-12 years we gave boosters every 3 years, then additional research indicated that most all shots give lifetime immunity. If you are concerned about the efficacy of your dogs immunity to certain diseases you can ask your vet to do a titer test to ascertain the level of protection. In my state I still have to give rabies every 3 years.

I have 8 healthy dogs in my house and when we lose one it is usually to old age (some around 16 years.) We also tell our puppy buyers to save themselves some money and NOT vaccinate after the 3 puppy shots (except for rabies as it is the law.) And if their vet "requires" annual shots to do themselves and their puppy a favor and find a new vet.

Annual boosters are a huge $$$ to vets and many don't want to give that up. Plus, by giving annual boosters they know that many of their patients will be back with a more serious illnes (often the result of too many vaccines.)

Consider this - did you or your children get annual boosters for life?

OK = off my soapbox. PM me if you need additional info.

Yes, I agree totally. We over vaccinate our pets and they are dying from it. We lost two of our rescue due to hemalytic anemia. (May not be spelled correctly) One owner spent over $2000 trying to save Molly and she did not make it. Our vet knows of only one dog to ever survive it.

Stop and think about the last time you had a vaccination for measles, mumps, polio, etc. Why put harmful chemicals in your pets if it serves no purpose other than padding the Vet and Pharmacuetical companies pockets. I know of Vets who do not vaccinate their own pets other than the inital shots up to 1 yr of age.

We have had hundreds and hundreds of rescues come into our home and none of our own pugs have ever gotten sick.

Now I will get off my soapbox and kiss my furbabies.

Brenda Sue 09-29-2011 02:08 PM

My Tessa is an eleven year old short haired daschund. She got her puppy shots and did okay. When she was a year old I took her in for her shots. She got sick within a few hours, threw up several times and swelled up so much she looked like a shar-pei. We had to rush her back to the vet and she took medicine for a week. The next year I was in a different town and I told the vet what happened. They gave her a shot before the vaccines and said she would be okay. Wrong!! Not as sick as the year before, but still looked like a shar-pei again. More medicine for the reactions. No more shots for my girl. New vet has information in file and does not pressure me for any shots. Tessa is a good healthy 11 year old dog now. My mother's daschund gets her shots every year and has health issues all the time. I think I might suggest to my mother that maybe Ginger is over vaccinated. Worth a try. Ginger is 12 now, blind and has skin problems that make her smell and itch like crazy. Momma loves Ginger dearly and tries all she can to make Ginger's life better. Any suggestions how to get her skin to stop itching? The girls have bad breath. What do you suggest for that?

GGJudy 09-29-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brenda Sue
My Tessa is an eleven year old short haired daschund. She got her puppy shots and did okay. When she was a year old I took her in for her shots. She got sick within a few hours, threw up several times and swelled up so much she looked like a shar-pei. We had to rush her back to the vet and she took medicine for a week. The next year I was in a different town and I told the vet what happened. They gave her a shot before the vaccines and said she would be okay. Wrong!! Not as sick as the year before, but still looked like a shar-pei again. More medicine for the reactions. No more shots for my girl. New vet has information in file and does not pressure me for any shots. Tessa is a good healthy 11 year old dog now. My mother's daschund gets her shots every year and has health issues all the time. I think I might suggest to my mother that maybe Ginger is over vaccinated. Worth a try. Ginger is 12 now, blind and has skin problems that make her smell and itch like crazy. Momma loves Ginger dearly and tries all she can to make Ginger's life better. Any suggestions how to get her skin to stop itching? The girls have bad breath. What do you suggest for that?

A lot of skin allergies are due to the food they are eating. Many dogs are allergic to corn and corn is found in most of your "grocery store" brands of dog food. Some dogs do not tolerate any types grain whatsoever and should be fed a grain free diet.

I would suggest that a change in food be tried first to see if that works. As for the bad breath, the vet would need to perhaps give the dog a good teeth cleaning and remove any bad teeth if the dog is up to the anesthetic that would be required.

momto5 09-29-2011 03:25 PM

Just had my three to the petatrician last week....$628 poorer, had to have all the shots, lab work and teeth on two of them cleaned. Then had to take one of my nine year olds back in today 'cause when I picked him up he screamed like a banshee and scared the daylights out of me. The vet couldn't find anything but I have to watch him and he also gave him a cortisone shot...he's asleep now and seems to be feeling better. I hate it when they get sick 'cause they can't tell you what hurts! Vet seemed to think he may have sprained a muscle or gotten a small tear in one...poor baby!

Lindsey 09-29-2011 03:27 PM

We get our shots in May.. Up to date here..

auniqueview 09-29-2011 03:33 PM

Taffy just got her 3 years rabies shot today. We have doxies, and they do not do well with Lepto shots, and we don't get that. But we also don't take them around lakes or areas where deer, raccoons, etc hang out. Nor do we get bordatella for them because I groom them (all shorthairs) and we don't board them. And,...they can be treated for that easily enough should they need to be.

I refuse to argue about whether dogs should be vaccinated or not. Mine are, and will be, except for Lepto. Even that causes a lot of debate.