Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
♥  Don't forget to get your pets annual shots! >

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Google Goddess

Don't forget to get your pets annual shots.

I just got back from taking my dog, Sophie, Shih Tzu to the vet to get her annual shots. Now she is laying on the couch sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263701.jpe   attachment-263702.jpe  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Great idea to remind everyone, CB. On Sunday, Patches (my avatar) was attacked by a German Shepard who didn't have any shots. Thank God we had just had Patches to the vet last month and all his shots were given then. He still has to take antibiotics for 10 days but if he didn't have his shots up to date we could have been in for lots of problems. (He's doing fine-just really traumatized and a few puncture wounds on his neck)
Get those shots!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Thank-you...and for those of you in rattlesnake country, don't forget to get that shot as well. The anti-venom is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE and not widely available.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM

My vet sends reminders. It really helps.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM

My dogs do not get annual shots. Every three years and not given at the same time as the Rabies is my schedule. The regular vaccines will not be given after age seven and the rabies won't either, if I can get by the state, which isn't likely. Lily had her rabies today and she's not resting. She needs to keep our property free of chipmunks - she thinks. All 27 veterinarian schools have accepted the 3 year schedule. Google Dr Dodds vaccination protocol if you wish.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The regular vaccines will not be given after age seven and the rabies won't either, if I can get by the state,
Why not rabies? Especially if she chases chipmunks?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM

I haven't been able to get Tink in this summer...everytime I have the money to take her, another expense hits. I will be getting her in this coming month no matter what. I just don't have an extra $300 hanging around...cause it isn
t just shots. She needs blood work and such.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Craftybear, your little Sophie could be the twin to my little dog,Ty. Her mother was a Shih Tzu poodle mix, the father was a scottie. Ty is 7 yars old. Of course she is spoiled.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM

For nearly 20 years I haven't given annual shots to any of my dogs. It has been proven that annual shots contribute greatly to immune related illnesses in dogs and cats. For the first 10-12 years we gave boosters every 3 years, then additional research indicated that most all shots give lifetime immunity. If you are concerned about the efficacy of your dogs immunity to certain diseases you can ask your vet to do a titer test to ascertain the level of protection. In my state I still have to give rabies every 3 years.

I have 8 healthy dogs in my house and when we lose one it is usually to old age (some around 16 years.) We also tell our puppy buyers to save themselves some money and NOT vaccinate after the 3 puppy shots (except for rabies as it is the law.) And if their vet "requires" annual shots to do themselves and their puppy a favor and find a new vet.

Annual boosters are a huge $$$ to vets and many don't want to give that up. Plus, by giving annual boosters they know that many of their patients will be back with a more serious illnes (often the result of too many vaccines.)

Consider this - did you or your children get annual boosters for life?

OK = off my soapbox. PM me if you need additional info.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I researched the vaccinations when I got my Molly. I wondered if she really needed them and then discovered through research about the disease that she can get from the squirrels. I can't remember the name of it now, but I have squirrels that play in the yard everyday, so she gets her shot every three years!!!