Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
♥  Don't forget to get your pets annual shots! >

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Reseach is showing that a dog regularly boostered with the DLLPwhatever and Rabies every three years, has a lifelong immunity and that over vaccination contributes to an aging dog's deterioration of the immune system. You know and I know that I am going to have to give the Rabies to satisfy the state, but I can stop the others.

Lepto may be what you're thinking of with the squirrels. After much internal debate, I do vaccinate my dogs for that because our walking area includes woods shared with bear, coyotes, etc and a lake area shared with the squirrels and bears. Standing water after a rain can become contaminated.

I killed a wonderful dog with over vaccination. I will never do it a second time.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I killed a wonderful dog with over vaccination. I will never do it a second time.
I accidently over vaccinated a dog with Rabies and he developed rabinosis (sp?). He died later of a brain tumor. I have always wondered if the over vaccination created and/or encouraged the brain tumor.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
Reseach is showing that a dog regularly boostered with the DLLPwhatever and Rabies every three years, has a lifelong immunity and that over vaccination contributes to an aging dog's deterioration of the immune system. You know and I know that I am going to have to give the Rabies to satisfy the state, but I can stop the others.

Lepto may be what you're thinking of with the squirrels. After much internal debate, I do vaccinate my dogs for that because our walking area includes woods shared with bear, coyotes, etc and a lake area shared with the squirrels and bears. Standing water after a rain can become contaminated.

I think it was Lepto. Molly trees the squirrels all of the time, so I just don't want to take a chance. The first shot she received was a yearly vaccine, and she didn't handle it very well. She was really droopy and slept all of the time. This time she received the three year shot and didn't have any side effects.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Lepto only offers immunity for 8 months, a year at the very most. It has to be given annually. Lily and Moira haven't had any side effects.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

My three went last Thursday, so we are good for another year. Thank goodness $494.00 later!! Actually my oldest has to have surgery next Wed to have a growth removed he found.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 AM

I got a new vet after the messup with my beloved Collies. The old one insisted on yearly boosters, had to put my large male to sleep 5 years ago after he got real ill. He also had hip dysp. Then a year later had to put my other male down - two tumors one on his prostate, other on the bladder, 2 years later my Lady was put down.
The new vet is on the 3 year boosters, this next time is the last with the boosters - except Rabies. My Shelties are just over 5 years old now.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 AM

I don't know the pros and cons about the shots..

but i do believe in the heartguard. year round in michigan.the mosquitoes are sooo bad this year.

we had a dog that got heartworm..the vet said "if the arsenic don't kill him, he will be fine." and thankfully, in the end, he recovered. --
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
I don't know the pros and cons about the shots..

but i do believe in the heartguard. year round in michigan.the mosquitoes are sooo bad this year.

we had a dog that got heartworm..the vet said "if the arsenic don't kill him, he will be fine." and thankfully, in the end, he recovered. --
Absolutely. Heartworm prevention is a necessary medication.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie
For nearly 20 years I haven't given annual shots to any of my dogs. It has been proven that annual shots contribute greatly to immune related illnesses in dogs and cats. For the first 10-12 years we gave boosters every 3 years, then additional research indicated that most all shots give lifetime immunity. If you are concerned about the efficacy of your dogs immunity to certain diseases you can ask your vet to do a titer test to ascertain the level of protection. In my state I still have to give rabies every 3 years.

I have 8 healthy dogs in my house and when we lose one it is usually to old age (some around 16 years.) We also tell our puppy buyers to save themselves some money and NOT vaccinate after the 3 puppy shots (except for rabies as it is the law.) And if their vet "requires" annual shots to do themselves and their puppy a favor and find a new vet.

Annual boosters are a huge $$$ to vets and many don't want to give that up. Plus, by giving annual boosters they know that many of their patients will be back with a more serious illnes (often the result of too many vaccines.)

Consider this - did you or your children get annual boosters for life?

OK = off my soapbox. PM me if you need additional info.
I have learned this also. I got Andy's shots when I moved but will get titer tests this coming year and he has a 3 yr rabies. The doctor wanted to give him a flu shot. Never heard of it before I moved to VA. Even the doc said there was no dog flu in VA yet so why are they giving it? Shrug. I decided not my dog. I don't get a flu shot either. lol Andy is 12 and doesn't run around with other dogs like at a day care so I figure he is good to go for pretty much the rest of his life.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 AM

I take my dog into the vet once a year for any vacccines he needs and his well doggie check same for my indoor only kitties. I will not be skipping any vaccines to save money on him.