Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
♥  Don't forget to get your pets annual shots! >

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

♥ Don't forget to get your pets annual shots!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Our vet also staggers the vaccinations. And they don't get annual shots. Just about everything is a three year shot now.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My dogs do not get annual shots. Every three years and not given at the same time as the Rabies is my schedule. The regular vaccines will not be given after age seven and the rabies won't either, if I can get by the state, which isn't likely. Lily had her rabies today and she's not resting. She needs to keep our property free of chipmunks - she thinks. All 27 veterinarian schools have accepted the 3 year schedule. Google Dr Dodds vaccination protocol if you wish.
I am in the veterinary field and that is not a conclusive statement, unless studies have been done, or you are doing blood titers on your dog to see if the antibodies are still there, they should still get their shots yearly, that is from my vets so And he is very young, so I don't know what vets your talking to
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM

http://www.2ndchance.info/dogvacs.htm. Every dog is unique and their environment, where they play, if they are boarded, etc., all go into vaccination decisions -- and these should be discussed with your vet. It does however help to be knowledgeable about what your dogs/cats needs are.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
I don't know the pros and cons about the shots..

but i do believe in the heartguard. year round in michigan.the mosquitoes are sooo bad this year.

we had a dog that got heartworm..the vet said "if the arsenic don't kill him, he will be fine." and thankfully, in the end, he recovered. --
Arsenic isn't used anymore. It's called Immiticied. It can still cause problem, but not like many years ago.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stitcher317
My hubby is a veterinarian. If you ever sat and watched an animal die from Parvo or Distemper you might change your opinion. Vaccines prevent this. States require vaccination against rabies for a reason, it works and it saves lives! All veterinarians practicing in this country today are trained and licensed to provide every service ranging from basic health exams to complicated surgeries covering almost every specialty. Yes, good medicine is costly. In over 40 years of practicing small animal medicine he tells me he has never had an animal die from a reaction to a vaccine.
Thank you. I work at an Animal Hospital. There are 1 year vaccines and 3 year vaccines. I have helped treat puppies with Parvo and have also watched them die because people would not vaccinate (or did not know ) to vaccinate their beloved pets. What the heck is the problem here? Find a vet that is reasonable and go to him/her for the shots. If you need something MAJOR, call around and find someone with a reputation for the broken bones, swallowed socks, intusseceptions, foreign bodies, inguinal hernies, splenectomies, mast cell tumor removals, RACL's and other knee problems, etc. Get a clue here and treat your pets like they're your kids (which I'm sure you do). Sorry to ramble on but I am serioys about pet care.!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy
http://www.2ndchance.info/dogvacs.htm. Every dog is unique and their environment, where they play, if they are boarded, etc., all go into vaccination decisions -- and these should be discussed with your vet. It does however help to be knowledgeable about what your dogs/cats needs are.
Excellent article. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM

To each his or her own, but I will NOT vaccinate yearly ever again. My dogs get their initial puppy vaccs on schedule, and rabies when appropriate.
I have worked at a vet's office, and I have seen animals die of most everything. I am the one that cared for them, and cried when they were lost, and rejoiced when they were saved.
I lost my dog to auto-immune hemolytic anemia. She was a very healthy ten year old spayed girl, with no health problems in her lines, and no previous health issues whatsoever. Not that I EVER wish any illness on anyone's pet, but in my opinion they almost have a better shot at beating the diseases they are vaccinated against then the auto-immune illnesses the vaccines are suspected of triggering, when over used.
My friend had a dog that was diagnosed with AIHA. $5,000 and several blood transfusions later, he did survive. He lived another 5-6 years, but he was never the same, and a previously healthy dog lived with fragile health. NOT that she for a moment regretted being able to save him.
These are my opinions and my experiences. I just suggest you do your own research-use various sources. Question your vet, politely. Look into research that may have been done re: annual vaccinations and possible complications and discuss it with him/her. I'm one of those people that question my doctors, my kids' doctor, and my vet sure doesn't get off easy. I don't always agree with everything they suggest, and I make my own choices based on what I've learned and what they recommend-sometimes! :)
I'm sure this thread was started in the most thoughtful way, so thank you for your concern for our loved ones!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Great idea to remind everyone, CB. On Sunday, Patches (my avatar) was attacked by a German Shepard who didn't have any shots. Thank God we had just had Patches to the vet last month and all his shots were given then. He still has to take antibiotics for 10 days but if he didn't have his shots up to date we could have been in for lots of problems. (He's doing fine-just really traumatized and a few puncture wounds on his neck)
Get those shots!
So sorry to read about Patches...hope all goes well for you and your fur baby.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Great idea, my cat, Chief Red Cloud has his reg yearly appt next week
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264593.jpe  
Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM

bless her heart, those shots just japs you out. lol Barb