Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM
dogpursemaker

To each his or her own, but I will NOT vaccinate yearly ever again. My dogs get their initial puppy vaccs on schedule, and rabies when appropriate.
I have worked at a vet's office, and I have seen animals die of most everything. I am the one that cared for them, and cried when they were lost, and rejoiced when they were saved.
I lost my dog to auto-immune hemolytic anemia. She was a very healthy ten year old spayed girl, with no health problems in her lines, and no previous health issues whatsoever. Not that I EVER wish any illness on anyone's pet, but in my opinion they almost have a better shot at beating the diseases they are vaccinated against then the auto-immune illnesses the vaccines are suspected of triggering, when over used.
My friend had a dog that was diagnosed with AIHA. $5,000 and several blood transfusions later, he did survive. He lived another 5-6 years, but he was never the same, and a previously healthy dog lived with fragile health. NOT that she for a moment regretted being able to save him.
These are my opinions and my experiences. I just suggest you do your own research-use various sources. Question your vet, politely. Look into research that may have been done re: annual vaccinations and possible complications and discuss it with him/her. I'm one of those people that question my doctors, my kids' doctor, and my vet sure doesn't get off easy. I don't always agree with everything they suggest, and I make my own choices based on what I've learned and what they recommend-sometimes! :)
I'm sure this thread was started in the most thoughtful way, so thank you for your concern for our loved ones!