Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Downton Abbey new series (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/downton-abbey-new-series-t210336.html)

LindaJR 01-08-2013 11:16 AM

Well, I missed the middle 45minutes, (fell asleep) but liked the beginning and end. I am going to check out www.pbs.org that Liae_wanna_b_quilter mentioned.

nativetexan 01-08-2013 11:28 AM

yep, I'm in Colorado and went to CPT12.org and finally found it. didn't have to put in my zip code either.

mommafank 01-08-2013 11:31 AM

It is so nice to watch a show at last with no fighting, no shooting, proper manners and so much sophication. I love the costumes. Such a fairy land of characters. I also love that the help is treated well, and that each character has his own story line to tell.

CAS49OR 01-08-2013 04:14 PM

I wanted to like the show so I rented the first season, but decided pretty soon that in spite of the beautiful castle and unique era it seemed like there was a lot of conniving, plotting and scheming, just like shows with modern settings. Hubby was watching with me and we decided we weren't into it. We do love the old British comedies though!

Teacup 01-08-2013 04:44 PM

My DH is as big a fan as I am! I have seasons 1&2 on DVD (and I very, very seldom purchase any movies) and have watched them again. I've also loaned out to friends who missed it and they are now hooked. We are enjoying season 3. PBS will have each episode available to watch online the week following its broadcast -- go to the pbs.org website. Also, if you have Netflix, you can catch Season 1 right now as well if you missed it or want to see it again.

My daughter is part of an online craft group and she coordinated a Downton swap last year. Everyone came up with some fun items for their swap that fit the Downton theme.

nativetexan 01-08-2013 04:58 PM

British comedies are great, also love British murder mysteries. but then, i watch sub-titled European murder mysteries too. I just dont' find much of our shows to watch.

coopah 01-08-2013 06:36 PM

Thanks, Stitchn...that sounds easy! I'll try it on our "forced" vacation when we have no TV. :-) That means no news 24/7 except what we read in the local paper. :-)

jeanneb52 01-09-2013 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 5769132)
We don't have a tv but when friends were talking about it this morning I looked it up on Amazon.
It sounds very much like Upstairs Downstairs which I saw years ago.

It is very much like it but I am a purist, there will never be another Upstairs Downstairs. Have you seen the new one? Okay but again, there will never be another Upstairs Downstairs

Geri B 01-09-2013 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by tulip43 (Post 5771347)
I watched and was so impressed with the actors and their costumes. Would liked to live back then.

I know this is British, but wife is American.......I wonder if there was income tax in that timeframe......wasn't that how so many more were able to acquire so much more wealth? Have to refresh my history memory............
I too, love the elegance of that era, but would miss some of our "modern" ways of life.........like central heat/a/c, hot running water and more informed medical expertise......but then we too will be looked at in future times as provincial............

nativetexan 01-09-2013 06:49 AM

I think the British invented taxes!!!! did you see where France wants to raise their tax rate on the rich from 41% to 75% and Gerard Depardieu became a Russian citizen in order not to pay that much. he's already paid 145 million in taxes in the last few years.
anyway, the Estate taxes are what gets you!!! one should be able to inherit without having it cut so much. shame. but Countries must run on something.