Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dresses and bonnets smocked some 30 years ago (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dresses-bonnets-smocked-some-30-years-ago-t251047.html)

char634w 07-30-2014 02:22 PM

Dresses and bonnets smocked some 30 years ago

9 Attachment(s)
My sister is moving and in the process of packing up everything. She so beautifully preserved the little dresses and bonnets I smocked for her daughter, my niece that is now 33 years old. No granddaughters to inherit them but she says she will keep them for dolls in a china cabinet. I appreciate that she lovingly kept them and in such great condition. They bring back such sweet memories for me and I can hardly believe I made them much less remember how I did it so many years ago. Those were some of the best years for me. I did not have children but my sister blessed me with the sweetest and dearest niece and nephew so I am forever grateful. And the vintage suitcase is just perfect for them too.

tuckyquilter 07-30-2014 02:42 PM

Your work is beautiful. I also "smocked" at one time..for my now 31 yr old daughter. I have a grand daughter but my dd said she wouldn't need any of the old fashioned stuff.. Sad face here. I also did bonnets, nightgowns, dresses and Christmas ornament. AND at one time I was making custom Bridal garters. Those were really fun.

Nammie to 7 07-30-2014 02:45 PM

What a treasure! You did an amazing job! This is a craft I would love to learn -- you certainly were a master of this skill! So glad the dresses and bonnets were so lovingly saved. These are truly heirlooms! Wish you lived by me - I would love to learn from you.

char634w 07-30-2014 02:47 PM

Hi Jackie,
Wow my sister's name is Jackie too. And it is sad but you are absolutely right about the "old fashioned stuff". Oh well it was so much fun while it lasted and I still enjoy looking at them and my Christmas ornaments too !!! Thank you and have a great day

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter (Post 6824524)
Your work is beautiful. I also "smocked" at one time..for my now 31 yr old daughter. I have a grand daughter but my dd said she wouldn't need any of the old fashioned stuff.. Sad face here. I also did bonnets, nightgowns, dresses and Christmas ornament. AND at one time I was making custom Bridal garters. Those were really fun.

char634w 07-30-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6824527)
What a treasure! You did an amazing job! This is a craft I would love to learn -- you certainly were a master of this skill! So glad the dresses and bonnets were so lovingly saved. These are truly heirlooms! Wish you lived by me - I would love to learn from you.

thank you !!!

piepatch 07-30-2014 03:04 PM

Beautiful, beautiful work!

mary quilting 07-30-2014 03:08 PM

Oh wow they are beautiful.

maryb119 07-30-2014 03:21 PM

There are no words to say how beautiful these things are!! I wish I knew how to do this. You do beautiful work.

lfstamper 07-30-2014 03:25 PM

These are gorgeous and such keepsakes. Your details are fabulous!

DogHouseMom 07-30-2014 03:28 PM

I smocked once, as a project in high school sewing class. I appreciate the work!! Your smocking is absolutely gorgeous!!