Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Drying Mint Leaves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/drying-mint-leaves-t222838.html)

Wildernessties 06-02-2013 02:58 PM

Drying Mint Leaves

Two years ago I was given some mint plants and they have spread like crazy so I now have plenty. I love mint tea in the summer but I am thinking I should dry some leaves for tea in the winter. Has anyone done this? If so, what is the best way you found to dry leaves?

yel 06-02-2013 03:19 PM

i tie bundles together and hang upside down in a kinda dry place ......not to big of bundles they won't dry [they will mold ] good luck ......i also planted where i can keep it under control with the lawn mower ....smells nice in the neighborhood when i mow

yel 06-02-2013 03:20 PM

there are also many different kinds ,,.,.,.chocolate mint .pineapple ..peppermint spearmint

Prism99 06-02-2013 03:44 PM

Mint will take over if allowed. I know an ardent organic vegetarian who ultimately resorted to Roundup on her lawn after some chocolate mint took over. If you haven't already, you may want to corral your mint before it crowds out everything else.

Wildernessties 06-02-2013 03:54 PM

I never realized there that many types of mint. My guess, judging by the smell, is that it may be spearmint but I'll have to someday check that out. I have it planted in the back where it can pretty much grow wherever as long as it stays outnofmthe rhubarb patch :-). I dug up quite a bit if it (mint) this spring to keep it in check and outnof the rhubarb.

Thanks, yel. I will give that a try. I was worried about the mold but maybe the answer is small bundles like you said.

yngldy 06-02-2013 05:11 PM

On Dr. Oz, there was an energy drink I want to try. You take water, slices of cucumber, mint, ginger, and lemon and let it mingle overnight. Drink. They had it in a pitcher, so I guess that is how it is done. Supposed to give you energy.

lynnie 06-02-2013 05:11 PM

my son used to grow mint, he'd pickit right b4 his bath, this was when he was 5 or so and run it under hot water. the whole house would smell of chocolate mint

Boston1954 06-02-2013 06:18 PM

Actually, I freeze mine. I have a plastic container in there right now.

Tartan 06-02-2013 06:34 PM

Place the leaves in your ice cube trays and fill with water. Once the cubes are frozen, pop out the cubes and put them in a freezer bag to store in the freezer. This is how I keep all my herbs at the end of the season for later use.

Peckish 06-03-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6100079)
Mint will take over if allowed.

Very true! It spread quite a bit in my back yard. Mowing wasn't such a chore with that pleasant smell. I tried and tried to get my dog to chew on those leaves instead of the grass. I hoped maybe he'd have minty-fresh breath instead of stinky dog breath, lol. He wasn't very cooperative. :D