Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   DVD came in mail, do I have to pay for this???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dvd-came-mail-do-i-have-pay-t206071.html)

gramacheri 11-17-2012 08:08 AM

I got it also and I do not appreciate being "threatened" about non-payment. I simply tossed the "junk mail." We are under no obligation to remit payment if we did not order anything!

linkd 11-17-2012 08:45 AM

I got it, got 3 bills for it, ignored them all. I sincerly hope that non-response will take me off their junk mail list.

marla 11-17-2012 09:23 AM

All the quilting magazines seem to be doing this. I get the annual quilting books from BH&G Quilting and send them back. I write in large letters, refused, did not order. It's their problem to pay postage for the returned item. I quit all magazine subscriptions as I have plenty of issues that I want to work patterns.
I got a CD from McCalls and opened it. I did not return it although i did get several letters and bills from them. It was just a very basic pattern collection and how to do engilish paper piecing that you can get on the internet for free. I too did not know what it was when I opened it. I used to get CDs' from internet sites to download their services so thought this was something of that nature. They are only out postage and the CD which cost $.25. They will have to tink up another way to market business.

Barbie 11-17-2012 09:23 AM

I agree that you should call them and complain. However, I onced received something that I did not order and contacted the Post Office to see what my obligation would be in this case. I was told to call them and tell them that I did not want it and if they would send me a postage paid label, I would return it. If they chose not to send you the label, you are under no obligation to return it. Be sure and make a note of the person you talk to in case you need to prove that you called about it. I was told that the best policy is to refuse anything that you did not order. Not always easy.

quilter2090 11-17-2012 09:30 AM

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. As someone else suggested, call the toll-free phone number,and tell them you don't want it and to not send anymore. Otherwise,you will receive invoices. I had to call 2 times to let them know I didn't want this DVD, but they finally stopped sending them. I truly wish companies whould stop sending unsolicitated products in the mail. It did take persistence to get them to take my name off their mailing list. good luck!

Lois-nounoe 11-17-2012 09:32 AM

If you read the "mouse print" it will tell you you are under no obligation to pay or send back the DVD. You may keep it as a gift from them if you do not want to receive any more DVDs.

katiebear1 11-17-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5658804)
If you did not order the item, you are under no obligation to pay for it or even return it. I got one of those a way back .. and its one of the reasons I stopped my subscription to Fons and Porter.. its just an unethical business practice.

The same thing happened to me awhile back also. I called and gave them grief about it how it was a big scam and that a lot of people do not know that any unsolisitated merchandise does not need to be returned or paid for. ps the DVD was really bad too LOL

jcrow 11-17-2012 12:38 PM

This just happened to me but I never received a DVD. I kept receiving a bill. They finally called me!! I told them I never received a DVD from them and that they better have something proving that I ordered that DVD. They said they would not bother me any more. I received a calendar last year and I thought it was for signing up for a quilting magazine, but a couple of months later they sent me a "late" bill. I couldn't find the calendar to mail it back. They called me and I told them I thought it was for free and didn't even know where it was. First they tried to get my debit card number to pay for it and I said I wouldn't pay for it because I never ordered it and they better have proof that I ordered it. They said they wouldn't charge me and I never heard from them again.

What a load of crap that these companies are doing now days. I think I should just buy the magazine off the shelf at the grocery store so they don't have my address and try to pull their "stunts" on me. And, I guess I should read the small print. Apparently I didn't have to pay for them, because they backed down immediately. And we are their customers and they treat us this way??? I get Fons and Porter, along with a few others. It sounds like it's Fons and Porter doing this. I don't think I will subscribe again. Too bad, I really enjoy their magazine, just not their ethics!

quiltapillow 11-17-2012 09:05 PM

Yep, Yep. I heard that; also; When subscribing I was promised certain patterns and never got them; when I called about the free promise gifts they just said in the mail-----------still have not received what they said. Then they sent another bill (already Paid) and threatened to cut off my sub. so I mailed them a copy of my receipt and that worked one time; another time they only gave me 1/2 of the subscription because I paid and additional year; so they started that one in the middle. They must not realize they are losing lots of business. Who bought out the F&P.

Pilgrim 11-17-2012 09:51 PM

They sent some out a while ago. No you do not have to return it. No you don't have to pay for it. Thought it was weird when I got it and didn't order it. Think they were trying to drum up business. Keep it, enjoy it, it's yours and it is free.