Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dyed hair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dyed-hair-t64551.html)

Rebecca VLQ 09-13-2010 04:17 PM

That is SO smart!!! That way, the hair takes up dye a little differently where she first applied! How come no one ever thought of that before???

raptureready 09-14-2010 01:22 AM

Vidal Sassoon (sp?) once said that gray hair is God's way of softening wrinkles. If, as we age, we decide to color the gray we should always go several shades lighter than the natural color of our youth. He said that really dark hair on older people had a tendency to also darken the wrinkles in the face.

It stuck with me and now I just decided to let the wrinkles be soft. LOL No dye here.

MISHNJIM 09-14-2010 02:04 AM

I have just recently started dying my hair this past year. I'm a natural redhead and every year it gets more brown in it. I hate it when I'm with my DD and they ask, "Where does she get her red hair from"? DUH...Me...I am still trying to find the right color that I really like. I guess I'll be looking this weekend because I can see the roots coming.

tdgiffin 09-14-2010 02:16 AM

I started getting white hairs prematurely when my grandfather went through cancer and passed away. over time, I got more and more, and when I turned 40, I finally gave in and started to go to a prfessional salong to have it colored. My hair is a reddish brown, and I have strawberry blond and blonde highlights in it. I love it! I have to admit that going with a lighter color really does soften the face.

My stylist uses the foil method, and I go to an Aveda salon. They custom mix the dye. No one can tell that I have colored hair, and I get compliments on it. If yo can find someone who knows how to use foil and custom-mixed dye, try it

quilter on the eastern edge 09-14-2010 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to embrace my silver grey hair years ago. I got so tired of hearing people telling me that I looked tired - I couldn't find the right colour to dye my hair that looked good with my skin tone.

When I turned 60 my BIL made the mistake of telling me I am now a blue-haired little old lady. Sooooooo.........

May in Jersey 09-14-2010 05:12 AM

Wonder how that process would work for me because I have to keep the dye on my gray roots for much longer than the rest of the hair. I also have to keep the dye from the ends of my permed hair until that last few mintues as that hair takes the dye too quickly. Instead of different colored strands of hair I'd have different color bands of hair, LOL! Maybe I should just go grey and do away with all of it. May in Jersey

BRenea 09-14-2010 08:54 AM

In my teens and early 20's I colored my hair every color imaginable, but then I realized that I really liked my natural color! I always thought my hair was one of my better assets, then lost it all a couple of years ago due to chemo. My hair came back thicker (was previously very thick) and darker, with lots of lowlights and highlights, including some very blond streaks. I get lots of compliments on it, but no one believes that it hasn't been "done"!

Rebecca VLQ 09-19-2010 08:00 AM

Since this is the hair dyeing thread....

My DD#1 is a freshman at college this year. We stopped by to see her on Friday...all is well. Last night, about 9pm I get a text:

Mom. I messed up my hair.

:lol:

Turns out she bought a $3 bottle of color at Wal-Mart and wanted auburn, but got essentially the same color as her normal hair, with red roots.

But before I knew that, My text to her:

Bahahaaaa! Um, you know I could have helped you with this BEFORE you dyed it, right?

CarrieAnne 09-19-2010 09:29 AM

Mines a natural dk red too, butif I usea dye with red in it, it always looks pink. EEEWWW, now I just go natural brown. I do it myself, but learned from a friend who used to do hair. The new way sounds neat!

theoldgraymare 09-19-2010 09:38 AM

I've given up on dying my hair. I always did it myself, but I hated fooling with the dye. Now it is mostly gray. My hairdresser says it is a beautiful color, so I'll take her word for it! LOL