Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Eating in the fifties (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/eating-fifties-t261406.html)

margiepc 02-18-2015 08:12 PM

I remember coming in after sledding (using a large piece of cardboard for a sled) and having my Mom make us a dish of pieces of home made bread, Hot milk and sugar. It sure tasted good!

orsdrramas 02-19-2015 05:16 AM

Yes, I remember the polio vaccine on sugar cube and maybe at Grandma's.

orsdrramas 02-19-2015 05:19 AM

I remember when pizza in the box first came out. My older brother had been at my aunt's house and came home and stated, "I don't know what Aunt Marie is having but it sure stinks" ( I guess he was referring the cheese). He still does not eat pizza and he is 66.

running1 02-19-2015 05:34 AM

...those were the days....

dd 02-19-2015 05:37 AM

It was in the 60's actually. Still very few fast food restaurants around here. We would go to a neighboring town for shopping and visiting family. Sometimes on the way home, dad would stop at a small store that did their own butchering, and get a lb of bologna and a loaf of bread. Mom would put together sandwiches, no mustard or anything else, and hand them out in the car on the way home. Two pieces of bread and 2 pieces of bologna. Guess money was tight that week. Still eat bologna sandwiches that way.

running1 02-19-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia (Post 7095359)
My family is from Missouri and I was born in '59. Everything was fried. I didn't know meat could be cooked any other way until I married my ex who's from CA...lol. We rarely ate out. I do remember 1 time getting a bucket of KFC while traveling. One of my earliest memories is eating mac & cheese (homemade of course) at my great grandparent's house and marveling at the little lumps of golden cheese. Boxed mac & cheese is terrible compared to this!!!

Homemade mac and cheese!! yes!! After marriage and children, I'd gotten in the nasty habit of using boxed mac and cheese... until we went to a funeral and at the dinner, someone had brought REAL mac and cheese... It brought back such sweet memories and I've never bought another box again... that was 25 years ago!!! There's just nothing like the old ways... thank goodness for Southern Living magazine and the recipes!!!

farmquilter 02-19-2015 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by margiepc (Post 7096216)
I remember coming in after sledding (using a large piece of cardboard for a sled) and having my Mom make us a dish of pieces of home made bread, Hot milk and sugar. It sure tasted good!

That was the most favorite dish that my Dad got us to like as well, had forgotten all about it. Oh, I do not remember having 'store' bread, as Mother would bake a big batch every Saturday.
Thank you for reminding me, another fond memory of our youth.

janjj 02-19-2015 08:08 AM

thanks for the memory trip ! I remember I worked in the kitchen at school to earn my meals. Government must have given the schools rice either cheap or free cause we had 'spanish rice' at least twice a week. I hated it and here I was working for it! mother would made enough food for their noon meal so my sister and I could then make supper as we were farmers and mother and dad milked 12- to 15 cows by hand and appreciated the evening meal ready when they finished.
We also raised hogs, sheep, and LOTS of chickens. the cracked eggs we kept for ourselves. now days are they thrown away? Mother also was a great cook and baked lots of bread.

nonymac 02-19-2015 09:22 AM

Oh yes - I remember the 50s & 60s Mom canned so we have "home cooked" meals. There was no Mc Donalds, Burger King, Taco Bell - all the "fast food" joints. Mc Donalds wasn't until the late 50s or early 60s (can't remember). Mom made pizza - we didn't buy it. Home made noodles. Milk from the farm with cream on the top. Snow pudding. Eating ice cycles broken off the eves of the house during the winter. Popcorn from a bag popped on top of the stove in a soup pot. I could go on and on. Those were the good old days. Ahhhh - Memories.

margee 02-19-2015 09:40 AM

I wonder if the rice-milk pudding she was referring to was like desert rice pudding.
margee