Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Emergency! Broken pacifier (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/emergency-broken-pacifier-t193214.html)

Linda - K. 07-01-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DJinSC (Post 5330557)
Please tell me how you break your kids from the pacifier. My kids never had one. My grandson, almost 3, has a fit if they try to get him to go to bed without one. His teeth are being affected, and I can't give advice on how to break this habit. Any tips?

I didn't like it that my son had a pacifier but his pediatrician advised us not to worry about it. He would give it up in time and that braces on his teeth would be cheaper than going to a psychiatrist for mental problems if we forced him to give it up! He gave it up on his own in time at about 3 or so and we did have to pay for braces.

Tink's Mom 07-01-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 5329863)
My new grand daughter likes a pacifier.
I remember my 3rd daughter. She had to have 3 of them, one for each hand and one for her mouth. If she lost any one of them in the middle of the night she would get rather upset. I have a picture of her somewhere with 2 of them in her mouth and one in each hand.

I have the same kind of picture with my son...he was coming down the hallway looking a bit drunk...with one in each hand and 2 in the mouth...LOL
I think I need to hunt up that picture...

Dakota Girl 07-01-2012 10:43 AM

Our family called the pacifier "the plug"

Latrinka 07-01-2012 10:49 AM

Mine never liked pacifiers. They would hold the nipple and chew on the handle! One less thing to break em from!

Iraxy 07-01-2012 11:42 AM

My youngest DD was a nursing baby until age 2 but I always gave her water in a bottle. She was coming on 3 years of age and still using the water bottle, did not want a sippy cup and raised a ruckus when she didn't have it. We wanted her to stop using the bottle and when her big girl 3rd birthday came up, we made a big deal about how 3 year old big girls use glasses and how big 3 year old girls don't use bottles, etc., etc. We kept asking her to try a pretty glass that we got for her and sometimes she would and sometimes not. The morning of her birthday the bottle was gone and in its place was her pretty glass because big girls don't use bottles. She rarely asked about it and it went over real well. I guess it was all that prebirthday advertising.

DJinSC 07-01-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Linda - K. (Post 5330927)
I didn't like it that my son had a pacifier but his pediatrician advised us not to worry about it. He would give it up in time and that braces on his teeth would be cheaper than going to a psychiatrist for mental problems if we forced him to give it up! He gave it up on his own in time at about 3 or so and we did have to pay for braces.

That sounds like good logic. Both of my children did have braces, as well as I, so I imagine my grandson will. There are crowded teeth on his mother's side, too. If the pediatrician says not to worry about it, seem like he (she) should know.

carolynjo 07-01-2012 02:45 PM

M y DIL took him to a park with a bridge over a stream and he threw it into the water himself. That ended his attachment to his paci.

Lois-nounoe 07-01-2012 03:04 PM

None of my three sons would have anything to do with a pacifier. (Thank goodness) When my aunt tried to put one in their mouths they would spit it across the room! But the oldest did suck his thumb till he was about 2 and knew as soon as the thumb went in the eyes closed! You should have seen him fighting sleep by trying to keep his thumb out of his mouth! LOL

mjsylvstr 07-02-2012 03:15 AM

4 kids, never had one.......3 grandkids, never used any.......all turned out just fine........and slept like babies.........

Diannia 07-02-2012 06:54 AM

Hmmm...my mom broke my little brother of the bottle by dipping the nipple in vinegar and telling him bugs got on it. Kinda harsh huh? But it worked....of course he stomped bugs like a fiend after that :).

Diannia