Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emergency! Broken pacifier

Emergency! Broken pacifier

Stacey, our daughter in Oklahoma called today.

Bella (age 2) was crying uncontrollably because her beloved paci broke. Her "Papa" (Dad's Pop) went to the store and got her 2 new ones. She settled down and talked to me on the phone. What a little chatterbox! She went on about her paci, her two new teeth and the pool the got the other day.

Big sister Raiden was busy swimming and having a blast.

Chase
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I spent hours looking for the "right" paci for my daughter when she was 2. She had to have the "Nuck" brand which was rare 32 years ago. I didn't know which of us was going to be nuts by the time I found one. I bought five.

Blog Entries
    kids always take our anxiety down a knotch don't they? cute.

Happy to report Bella is doing fine now.

My oldest daughter had a quilt she carried everywhere. Not a small crib one, but a twin size one. ....lol
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

My new grand daughter likes a pacifier.
    I remember my 3rd daughter. She had to have 3 of them, one for each hand and one for her mouth. If she lost any one of them in the middle of the night she would get rather upset. I have a picture of her somewhere with 2 of them in her mouth and one in each hand.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    Happy to report Bella is doing fine now.

My oldest daughter had a quilt she carried everywhere. Not a small crib one, but a twin size one. ....lol
    Sounds like my DS... he had his "fum" that he sucked & he also drug one of the plaid stadium blankets with him... everywhere. He still has it! But, according to his wife, he leaves it home now... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Sounds like my DS... he had his "fum" that he sucked & he also drug one of the plaid stadium blankets with him... everywhere. He still has it! But, according to his wife, he leaves it home now... LOL!
    cute story !!

Please tell me how you break your kids from the pacifier. My kids never had one. My grandson, almost 3, has a fit if they try to get him to go to bed without one. His teeth are being affected, and I can't give advice on how to break this habit. Any tips?

My kids never took a pacifier, either. However, I've heard of people cutting a small hole in the tip of the paci, which makes it less pleasant to suck.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    One of my sons sucked his thumb until he was four or five. He's 48 now - has beautiful teeth - and - as far as I know - hasn't sucked his thumb since he was in kindergarden (unless he hit it with a hammer)

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    Please tell me how you break your kids from the pacifier. My kids never had one. My grandson, almost 3, has a fit if they try to get him to go to bed without one. His teeth are being affected, and I can't give advice on how to break this habit. Any tips?
    I didn't like it that my son had a pacifier but his pediatrician advised us not to worry about it. He would give it up in time and that braces on his teeth would be cheaper than going to a psychiatrist for mental problems if we forced him to give it up! He gave it up on his own in time at about 3 or so and we did have to pay for braces.
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    I remember my 3rd daughter. She had to have 3 of them, one for each hand and one for her mouth. If she lost any one of them in the middle of the night she would get rather upset. I have a picture of her somewhere with 2 of them in her mouth and one in each hand.
    I have the same kind of picture with my son...he was coming down the hallway looking a bit drunk...with one in each hand and 2 in the mouth...LOL
    I think I need to hunt up that picture...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Our family called the pacifier "the plug"
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Mine never liked pacifiers. They would hold the nipple and chew on the handle! One less thing to break em from!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

My youngest DD was a nursing baby until age 2 but I always gave her water in a bottle. She was coming on 3 years of age and still using the water bottle, did not want a sippy cup and raised a ruckus when she didn't have it. We wanted her to stop using the bottle and when her big girl 3rd birthday came up, we made a big deal about how 3 year old big girls use glasses and how big 3 year old girls don't use bottles, etc., etc. We kept asking her to try a pretty glass that we got for her and sometimes she would and sometimes not. The morning of her birthday the bottle was gone and in its place was her pretty glass because big girls don't use bottles. She rarely asked about it and it went over real well. I guess it was all that prebirthday advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K. View Post
    I didn't like it that my son had a pacifier but his pediatrician advised us not to worry about it. He would give it up in time and that braces on his teeth would be cheaper than going to a psychiatrist for mental problems if we forced him to give it up! He gave it up on his own in time at about 3 or so and we did have to pay for braces.

That sounds like good logic. Both of my children did have braces, as well as I, so I imagine my grandson will. There are crowded teeth on his mother's side, too. If the pediatrician says not to worry about it, seem like he (she) should know.

M y DIL took him to a park with a bridge over a stream and he threw it into the water himself. That ended his attachment to his paci.

None of my three sons would have anything to do with a pacifier. (Thank goodness) When my aunt tried to put one in their mouths they would spit it across the room! But the oldest did suck his thumb till he was about 2 and knew as soon as the thumb went in the eyes closed! You should have seen him fighting sleep by trying to keep his thumb out of his mouth! LOL

4 kids, never had one.......3 grandkids, never used any.......all turned out just fine........and slept like babies.........

Hmmm...my mom broke my little brother of the bottle by dipping the nipple in vinegar and telling him bugs got on it. Kinda harsh huh? But it worked....of course he stomped bugs like a fiend after that .

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

My oldest daughter sucked her thumb. She is the only one who had to wear braces.

I guess 1 out of 7 isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    My niece was like this. She would talk holding the pacifier in her mouth like a cigarette. haha I told her to take that thing out of her mouth and talk to me. She just recently got married but I still remember the 3 pacifiers.

Our son used a pacifier for a few days but one night I heard him cry then stop. When I checked on him he had found his thumb. No more paci's for him. He sucked his thumb all the way to grade school until my dad offered him a $100.00 to quit. I had tried everything but the money got him. He wanted a wad of $1 dollar bills and that's what my dad gave him. Fresh from the bank with the band still on them. Kids are funny. He's 32 now and I still like to tell this story. haha

I was trying to break my younger daughter of the bottle and pacifier, my husband would keep buying her new ones.
    So, one day the trash-men were coming and I gathered them up, told her that it was time to get rid of them. We walked out to the large can and dropped them in it. The truck came, we waved bye bye, and that was that. She never asked for one again, all along she was drinking out of a cup, so that was that. The husband never bought her anymore either.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I convinced my lil one that baby angels needed them ... Didn't work ...
    a few days later she lost/ left her Binky at the daycare... That night when she asked for it I reminded her it was at the school and we had to find it tomorrow.. Well four tomorrows later she finally forgot all about it.. No fits just 'oh ok mommy tomorrow' ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast