Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emergency! Broken pacifier

2 of 4 of mine took to the pacifier. To break them of it you have to take it away. My youngest son lost his and we couldn't find it so he cried for a night and never needed it again. I know it sounds cruel and hard but you have to be strong. It is not good for them to have one past the age of 1. Not being judgmental, just as I understand it.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by willis.debra; 07-03-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willis.debra View Post
    2 of 4 of mine took to the pacifier. To break them of it you have to take it away. My youngest son lost his and we couldn't find it so he cried for a night and never needed it again. I know it sounds cruel and hard but you have to be strong. It is not good for them to have one past the age of 1. Not being judgmental, just as I understand it.
    Good luck.
    I look at is ...It makes them feel safe, having a sense of security. I still to this day keep something around just for that.
    It a Harley Davidson skull cap my youngest son wore. I keep it around to remind me, one day I will see him.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Kids will find something to suck anyway. I didn't want to start a pacifier habit, so I never gave mine one. I didn't have to get rid of a pacifier, but I did have to break the thumb sucking habit. I think it would have been easier getting rid of the pacifier! I think whoever "lost" it had the right idea!

My oldest sucked her thumb. The second used the two middle fingers of her hand, the 3rd and 4th had "Plugs" #3 had trouble with the "pl" sound and so to her it was a "prug"
    We limited her to only using it for naps and bed time. If she got upset, she would run to her room and sit on her bed and suck on the pacifier. We were able to break her from it when one time we were visiting Grandma and somehow we forgot to bring one. when we got home, DH kept the kids occupied in the car and I ran and collected every one we could find and put them in a high cabinet. We had a rough couple nights at Grandma's and a couple nights at home but that was the end of it.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    Please tell me how you break your kids from the pacifier. My kids never had one. My grandson, almost 3, has a fit if they try to get him to go to bed without one. His teeth are being affected, and I can't give advice on how to break this habit. Any tips?

We broke our oldest DD when she was about 2 1/2, cold turkey, of course we talked about it with her before they all disappeared. We didn't get much sleep for about a week, did a lot of holding, rocking and book reading with her when she would start to miss it. Then she was okay.
    Second DD only wanted her thumb, can't take that away. Started about the same age trying to put bad tasting stuff on it to discourage her, hot sauce, food she didn't like, etc., but nothing worked. She finally stopped when her 1st grade friends called her a baby, that did it, end of thumb. Oh, and now she loves hot sauce and both ended up with braces.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I didn't give my son a pacifier under pressure from my MIL, whom I loved dearly. No MIL stories here.

But my son turned out to be a cryer (1 hour from 5 to 6 PM every day) and I tried to soothe him with one but by that time it was a foreign object and he rejected it. In retrospect, I wish I'd let him have one from day one as I think he would have been comforted by it.

He turned out emotionally healthy and still needed braces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2