Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Empty Nest (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/empty-nest-t193456.html)

nancyw 07-04-2012 07:21 AM

It will be 42 years this October for us.

Latrinka 07-04-2012 12:28 PM

Awe! Bittersweet ain't it?! My oldest son just moved away from the area a couple of weeks ago, and I cried like a baby!

Stitchnripper 07-04-2012 02:25 PM

Congratulations to your son on both of his occasions! I cried when my last son left, and then after a few days, realized I had lots of things to do and could still be his and his brother's Mom. It takes a while, but, you will be fine.

EllieGirl 07-04-2012 03:58 PM

Congratulations to you. You are entering a new chapter. My daughter left the Army last August. She liked it, but has two young children. She was deployed to Iraq as a critical care nurse, and doesn't want to be away from the kids again. We were empty nesters, but she is divorcing and has moved in with us. I'm enjoying it but it does keep me hopping,

QuiltingCrazie 07-04-2012 04:14 PM

Congrats, just something to get Used to, try Not to Share his MOS in Public Forums or Social Sites. Please dont Take offence... My dh is Army we get briefings as spouses. Really congrats on everything!!!

Bamagal 07-04-2012 05:48 PM

Sounds to me like you did a good job!! You raised an independent, young adult!! You taught him to love his country, his wife to be and you!! How blessed you are !! He will be fine and so will you!! Enjoy his accomplishments. They are as much yours as his!! Still hurts though!! I understand! We all do!

nancia 07-05-2012 03:09 AM

darn, we teach our kids to be independent and it turns around and bites us on the butt!:D all 3 of mine are on the loose! i sure do miss them, but what i miss most of all is the child version of each one. that little person who sat on my lap when i read to them, the cuddles and the kiss good-night. but now i have a granddaughter in texas and i play with her on skype. not quite the same, but still joyful! and the satisfaction that my children will be ok in the world and will make good choices for their future. and i know they still love me!
sounds like you instilled good values in your son! i wish him well, a happy future with his bride, and thank him for his service to our benefit

Debbie C 07-05-2012 04:09 AM

with grad and undergrad schools looming the same year for both my girls, I was devastated to see them off within weeks of each other. My house went from a wonderfully bustling looney bin to just plain looney!! I was so sad for months - All I can say is that in time, you will learn to do the things that make YOU happy. Mine was quilting and going back to work part time. The empty nest is both a sad place and an inspiring place. Lift yourself up when you feel low by surrounding yourself with your dearest friends, keep busy....have fun and know there is life after children!
I know I've done a good job with my girls because they have turned out to be the most amazing young women of whom I could not be more proud!

MissM 07-05-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 5339276)
Congrats, just something to get Used to, try Not to Share his MOS in Public Forums or Social Sites. Please dont Take offence... My dh is Army we get briefings as spouses. Really congrats on everything!!!

Thanks for telling me this...that is just something I had not considered.

kateyb 07-05-2012 05:42 AM

Thank your son for his service.
It is hard to see them go but it is great when you realize they can be independent. All 4 of mine are so much their own person. They don't need me to get along on their own and they actually go to each other with their problems more than to hubby and I which I think is good. Law of averages is that we will die before they will and then they will have each other. We do see all of them on a regular basis and have a good time together. They have all thanked us for being great parents. What more could you want?