Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This ever happen to you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ever-happen-you-t265313.html)

alleyoop1 05-18-2015 03:16 AM

This ever happen to you?

Our microwave oven broke. The light comes on and the fan works but it doesn't heat up. So we have purchased a new one that will be here one day this week.
So last Thursday I went grocery shopping and purchased a little frozen pizza for my lunch. Came home, unwrapped the pizza, put it on a plate and opened the microwave oven to cook it when I finally realized our microwave is broken! Duh! Thankfully it cooked just a well, but slower, in the toaster oven!

Geri B 05-18-2015 04:41 AM

I really only use mine to warm up leftovers..but, I would miss it if it decided to not work anymore.....

Tartan 05-18-2015 05:15 AM

​Not that one but I have flicked the wall light switch when I entered a room when the power is out.

earthwalker 05-18-2015 05:30 AM

No, but, like Tartan I have a light switch story....we have a skylight in our dining room, when we first moved here around 18 years ago, I spent several days flicking the light switch off and wondering why the room was still 'lit'.

Homespun 05-18-2015 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker (Post 7198959)
No, but, like Tartan I have a light switch story....we have a skylight in our dining room, when we first moved here around 18 years ago, I spent several days flicking the light switch off and wondering why the room was still 'lit'.

Now that is a classic! LOL

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2015 09:12 AM

I need to shop for a new microwave oven too. I burn some pancakes over a month ago and it still starts smelling like burnt popcorn ever time I use it. A couple of numbers on the keypad have stopped working.

Onebyone 05-18-2015 09:24 AM

I buy the smallest size microwave I can find at Walmart. I don't buy anything that is made to be heated in microwave so we only use it to reheat leftovers. I use it most for melting or pre heating baking ingredients. The one I have now is over 2 years old and I paid about $40. I bought one at last Christmas sale for $25. It's still in the box for when I need another one.

quiltingcandy 05-18-2015 09:35 AM

Onebyone - I did that for my daughter, bought one from Walmart, but I think it was closer to $60.00. They are convenient for heating left overs and her roommates felt they didn't need one so they weren't going to buy one. I thought was funny since they all have grown up using them. When she moved out and didn't need it anymore, we donated it to school where my other daughter worked. They thought it was luxury having 2 microwaves to heat lunches.

jeanniegirl 05-19-2015 05:52 AM

I couldn't go without one...

rjwilder 05-19-2015 07:48 AM

We use ours for heating up food, coffee and popcorn. We also use it for partially cooking sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and other potatoes. Then we throw them on the grill or in the oven to finish cooking. It gets very warm here in the summer and I don't want to heat up the kitchen if I can avoid it.