Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: This ever happen to you?

This ever happen to you?

Our microwave oven broke. The light comes on and the fan works but it doesn't heat up. So we have purchased a new one that will be here one day this week.
    So last Thursday I went grocery shopping and purchased a little frozen pizza for my lunch. Came home, unwrapped the pizza, put it on a plate and opened the microwave oven to cook it when I finally realized our microwave is broken! Duh! Thankfully it cooked just a well, but slower, in the toaster oven!

I really only use mine to warm up leftovers..but, I would miss it if it decided to not work anymore.....

Power Poster
    ​Not that one but I have flicked the wall light switch when I entered a room when the power is out.

No, but, like Tartan I have a light switch story....we have a skylight in our dining room, when we first moved here around 18 years ago, I spent several days flicking the light switch off and wondering why the room was still 'lit'.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    No, but, like Tartan I have a light switch story....we have a skylight in our dining room, when we first moved here around 18 years ago, I spent several days flicking the light switch off and wondering why the room was still 'lit'.
    Now that is a classic! LOL
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

I need to shop for a new microwave oven too. I burn some pancakes over a month ago and it still starts smelling like burnt popcorn ever time I use it. A couple of numbers on the keypad have stopped working.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I buy the smallest size microwave I can find at Walmart. I don't buy anything that is made to be heated in microwave so we only use it to reheat leftovers. I use it most for melting or pre heating baking ingredients. The one I have now is over 2 years old and I paid about $40. I bought one at last Christmas sale for $25. It's still in the box for when I need another one.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone - I did that for my daughter, bought one from Walmart, but I think it was closer to $60.00. They are convenient for heating left overs and her roommates felt they didn't need one so they weren't going to buy one. I thought was funny since they all have grown up using them. When she moved out and didn't need it anymore, we donated it to school where my other daughter worked. They thought it was luxury having 2 microwaves to heat lunches.

I couldn't go without one...

We use ours for heating up food, coffee and popcorn. We also use it for partially cooking sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and other potatoes. Then we throw them on the grill or in the oven to finish cooking. It gets very warm here in the summer and I don't want to heat up the kitchen if I can avoid it.

Suz
    No microwave in my home. When we heat pizza, we put on the iron griddle, turn the heat to low (approx 9 o'clock on the temp selector), cover with a lid, and turn the timer to 12 minutes. The bottom will be crispy and the top will be nicely warmed. No hard and dried crust!!

For other food, we use the toaster/convection oven.

When my microwave starts acting up ... or not working properly it needs to be cleaned. Then it works just hunky-dory! Go figure ... I'll never need a new one ...
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I'm with Suz. No microwave here either. I don't like what I've read about what it does to food. My family likes one, though. We had one in our rental, but when we moved the one that was in the house d I ed within a couple months. We haven't replaced it. Of course they blamed me. Lol

Power Poster
    I only use my microwave to do warm ups. I have never tried to cook in it..

I am a member of the No Microwave Oven club, too. Don't miss it at all.
    Do not worry about the past, for it is history,
    Do not worry about the future, for it is a mystery,
    Only live for today, for it is a gift, that is why it is called "the present."

Vat
    No, I don't buy microwave food.

I don't like Microwave food either (as a rule), but it certainly comes in handy when I have forgotten to take something out of the freezer to thaw. Also, it is great for warming up that cup of coffee that I poured two hours ago and didn't get to drink. I do like to 'bake' potatoes in the microwave.
    When my old one died (it was over 10 years old), I really felt the loss until the new one was purchased. Even though we don't use a tool often, it sure is nice to have it.

Blog Entries
    Last week we had a serious car accident in the village, which took down an electricity power cable. As a result no electricity. I decided to defrost some sausages and have a couple of hotdogs for dinner. Put the frozen hot dogs in the microwave to defrost. Dumb or dumber no power. I knew but still did it we are just so use to switching a button and things working.
    Finished is better than a UFO

When I lived in Florida, I took a couple of Microwave cooking classes to "beat the Heat". I still cook in it occasionally, depending on the situation. Our first one was a first Christmas present from my parents. It was a Sharp, and lasted at least 10 years the first time. I am married to Mr. Fix-it which in MANY ways is a God send. However, we used that oven for about 20+years(married 36). I was wanting a more modern machine and he would replaced parts until he couldn't do it any longer. I was finally able to replace it with a newer machine, and have had 2 more since, as they make them to be "thrown away" once they quit working. I don't think any of realize how much we do OR do not use them until they break. I kept on going to the empty spot on the counter to heat my water for tea. Had to use the stove and more electricity to do so.
    Happy Day!
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Suz
    I have an article (with daily pictures) about a high school project in which the student had two almost identical plants. They were trimmed with only a few leaves remaining and a few new shoots coming from the base of the plant. She boiled two cups of water: one in the microwave, one on the stove. Each plant was watered w/their respective waters. Within one week, the microwave-watered plant was dead. The other was striving.

My question is, if this is what the microwave can do to water, what is it doing to other foods? Sorry, no microwave in my home.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    MY microwave has a gremlin that starts it at random, unrelated-to-anyone-being-in-the-kitchen times. I had just fallen asleep one night last week when I was awakened by the sound of it running! The light was showing and that's how I recognized what the sound was.

Now it's plugged into a power strip and that is turned OFF each time I use it. Going to get a new one when I move in 6 weeks, just to be safe. Would hate to burn the new apartment down over a dang $40 microwave!!

[Huh, then again, maybe it's the ghost of the 200 year old cook who is angry/mad/sad I'm leaving and she will have to deal with a new tenant. We get along well, after 7+ years. Wonder what the new kid (22 yo son of the new buyers) will think? Hahaha!!!]

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I bought cheapest microwave I could find when I needed a new one, it only gets used to cook scrambled eggs every morning for the dogs lol.

When I moved into first house after my divorce, there was no stove/oven and I couldn't afford to buy one. I used microwave, toaster oven, electric grill for almost 3 years. I'd NEVER not have a microwave. Of course, I live alone so don't need anything more or larger.

I would be so lost without one.
    ABCDEFG

Power Poster
    I sometimes wonder when (and how) our early ancestors learned to cook food.