Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ever-hear-phrase-no-wheretoall-t241387.html)

Onebyone 02-17-2014 01:03 PM

Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall?

When I was young I would hear my older relatives describe a person as having no 'wheretoall' about them. How I spelled it is how I heard it. I got the impression the people who had no wheretoall about them were people who were useless in helping to do something or knowing what to do. Anyone know about this phrase?

piepatch 02-17-2014 01:19 PM

I have not heard of wheretoall, but have heard of wherewithal, meaning "what it takes". As in " he doesn't have the wherewithal to finish that project", often meaning money, but I think it can mean he doesn't have the knowledge, or dedication to do something.

susiequilt 02-17-2014 01:22 PM

I've heard it the same as piepatch. Never heard of wheretoall.

NJ Quilter 02-17-2014 02:37 PM

I'm with piepatch as well and more commonly referring to lack of knowledge vs lack of funds.

moonwork42029 02-17-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6580972)
When I was young I would hear my older relatives describe a person as having no 'wheretoall' about them. How I spelled it is how I heard it. I got the impression the people who had no wheretoall about them were people who were useless in helping to do something or knowing what to do. Anyone know about this phrase?

Living in the south, it is a kinder way of referring to someone slightly off kilter in their common sense and desire to do something...at least that's the way I've always taken it. I haven't heard that saying for a good many years come to think of it. I know my Grandmother use to say it about some folks down the road. Kinda like not having any gumption. "He could fix that porch but he has no wheretoall to do it".

Sandra in Minnesota 02-17-2014 04:50 PM

Never have heard it up North.

jitkaau 02-18-2014 04:16 AM

Perhaps, as a child, you misheard the term 'no wherewithal' which means that a person doesn''t have the means ( usually money) to do something. That is unless there has been a colloquial adaptation to mean something entirely different in your neck of the woods.

star619 02-18-2014 04:20 AM

I've never heard that (southern Louisiana), but my Dad often told me, with equal amts. of love & dismay, "Deborah, you don't have the sense God promised a billygoat"! And he never changed his opinion until he died in 1991, on April Fool's Day.

Jingle 02-18-2014 05:22 AM

I'm with piepatch, no wherewithall. Always meant to me they were lazy and had no money because of the laziness. I haven't thought about it for years, until now.

Edie 02-18-2014 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 6581388)
Never have heard it up North.

I'm from St. Paul - that's north and sometimes I don't have any wherewithal (correct spelling) when I should be doing something and I just can't figure out how to do it. I don't have the wherewithal. Never heard of wheretoall though. Most of us Minnesotans are totally "brain-froze" now and we wouldn't have the wherewithal to find the shovel!!!!!!!! Hang on, Spring is a'comin'!!!!! High School Tournaments - sure sign!!!!! Enjoy our beautiful day today. I'm going to get a new sewing machine now. Whoopee!!!!!
I hope my bobbins work in it. Edie

PS - I have never heard of piepatch - could you give a definition, please? I love to learn new words - So far my favorite is gobsmacked.