Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall? >

Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall?

Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Default Ever hear the phrase No Wheretoall?

When I was young I would hear my older relatives describe a person as having no 'wheretoall' about them. How I spelled it is how I heard it. I got the impression the people who had no wheretoall about them were people who were useless in helping to do something or knowing what to do. Anyone know about this phrase?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM

I have not heard of wheretoall, but have heard of wherewithal, meaning "what it takes". As in " he doesn't have the wherewithal to finish that project", often meaning money, but I think it can mean he doesn't have the knowledge, or dedication to do something.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM

I've heard it the same as piepatch. Never heard of wheretoall.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM

I'm with piepatch as well and more commonly referring to lack of knowledge vs lack of funds.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I was young I would hear my older relatives describe a person as having no 'wheretoall' about them. How I spelled it is how I heard it. I got the impression the people who had no wheretoall about them were people who were useless in helping to do something or knowing what to do. Anyone know about this phrase?
Living in the south, it is a kinder way of referring to someone slightly off kilter in their common sense and desire to do something...at least that's the way I've always taken it. I haven't heard that saying for a good many years come to think of it. I know my Grandmother use to say it about some folks down the road. Kinda like not having any gumption. "He could fix that porch but he has no wheretoall to do it".
Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Never have heard it up North.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 AM

Perhaps, as a child, you misheard the term 'no wherewithal' which means that a person doesn''t have the means ( usually money) to do something. That is unless there has been a colloquial adaptation to mean something entirely different in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 AM

I've never heard that (southern Louisiana), but my Dad often told me, with equal amts. of love & dismay, "Deborah, you don't have the sense God promised a billygoat"! And he never changed his opinion until he died in 1991, on April Fool's Day.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I'm with piepatch, no wherewithall. Always meant to me they were lazy and had no money because of the laziness. I haven't thought about it for years, until now.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
Never have heard it up North.
I'm from St. Paul - that's north and sometimes I don't have any wherewithal (correct spelling) when I should be doing something and I just can't figure out how to do it. I don't have the wherewithal. Never heard of wheretoall though. Most of us Minnesotans are totally "brain-froze" now and we wouldn't have the wherewithal to find the shovel!!!!!!!! Hang on, Spring is a'comin'!!!!! High School Tournaments - sure sign!!!!! Enjoy our beautiful day today. I'm going to get a new sewing machine now. Whoopee!!!!!
I hope my bobbins work in it. Edie

PS - I have never heard of piepatch - could you give a definition, please? I love to learn new words - So far my favorite is gobsmacked.