Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   ever think about getting a treadle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ever-think-about-getting-treadle-t135338.html)

vintagemotif 07-05-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.

I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!

Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.

Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.

Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

Sorry my mistake.

virtualbernie 07-05-2011 02:03 PM

I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.

I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!

Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.

Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.

Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

Sorry my mistake.

I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.

vintagemotif 07-05-2011 02:19 PM

Sorry my mistake.

I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.

Here is a link that I use a reference for the Singer 15 series (15-89, 15-90, 15-91) that I find very helpful in explaining similarities/differences of the machines and other issues (like motors).

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

virtualbernie 07-05-2011 03:02 PM

Sorry my mistake.

Here is a link that I use a reference for the Singer 15 series (15-89, 15-90, 15-91) that I find very helpful in explaining similarities/differences of the machines and other issues (like motors).

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

Yup, been there. Ordered a bunch of parts from them. Thanks!

manyquilts 07-05-2011 04:10 PM

hmmm. I like my grandmother's treadle....I remember all the good times on it...

PrettyCurious 07-06-2011 02:03 AM

Pretty Curious,
I like your avatar!

Thanks.
I love cutsie older pottery, and this little girl adorns my kitchen window.

PamB8s 07-06-2011 02:39 AM

My husband wants a treadle. I sure hope he learns how to use it, don't know if i'm up for that workout everyday. LOL

quiltbuddy 07-06-2011 03:31 AM

I use to have a Bernina treadle that did about a dozen different stitches, similar to the Record. I guess Bernina made a few for people who didn't have electricity.

romanojg 07-06-2011 04:18 AM

That is the key to how much to spend on a machine; how available they are in your area. Here I've seen alot. I did buy my first featherweight from ebay; I only paid 120 for her but it cost me more in shipping. She is gorgeous; has lots of attachments. Then I thought these machines were rare; which is what all the adds list. Since then I've picked up a couple of Sphinks (not spelled right) one was 30 and the other w/treadle w/cabinet for 200. I also picked up a red eye for 100. All of these machines are in great shape w/decals mostly in shape. I see alot of machines on Craiglist around here so it's easier to get them and you will pay less. I hope you find one for a great price. I'm still looking for one that was made the year I was born. I'd like to say then I'll be done but who knows when I might find a great deal on one and I couldn't resist.

PATTIESPEARL 07-06-2011 10:15 AM

I bought one in Yukon, Ok last summer for $65.00.Good machine and nice cabinet.