Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: ever think about getting a treadle??

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    check this one out! They did a great job on restoring her, but why add the electric?

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/72764663...campaign=Share

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    At first I was thinking what a waste of a treadle table then I realized they were making it both--it can be used as a treadle and electric. I actually have both an electric 15-91 and a 15-96 which is actually a 15-91 on a treadle! (2 separate tables) Maybe they were thinking it would save space?

  3. #3
    Senior Member kraftykimberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    730
    Ok, Im a little confused, (the following is a cut-n-paste from the description of the listing) what does this mean :

    Sew in style with this wonderful reproduction, of Singer Model # 15-91.

    "reproduction"? So thats not an original, is a reproduction?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
    Ok, Im a little confused, (the following is a cut-n-paste from the description of the listing) what does this mean :

    Sew in style with this wonderful reproduction, of Singer Model # 15-91.

    "reproduction"? So thats not an original, is a reproduction?
    hhmm...I did not see that...will check it out again..
    if it were a repro, I am sure it would cost more than $395...At that price I am not sure what they are selling...it is pretty though..and could be very practical if you live where you lose power a lot...like OK!

    I contacted the guy to ask if it were really a repro or maybe a "rebuilt" model!

  5. #5
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
    Ok, Im a little confused, (the following is a cut-n-paste from the description of the listing) what does this mean :

    Sew in style with this wonderful reproduction, of Singer Model # 15-91.

    "reproduction"? So thats not an original, is a reproduction?
    Maybe they are saying it's a reproduction because it's both electric and treadle? From what I have read the electric is a 15-91 but the treadle is actually a 15-96. Also, mine are pretty plain this one looks like it has new parts and new paint. Notice the difference in the stitch regulator, the shiny wheel and the front plate?

    15-91
    Name:  Attachment-221310.jpe
Views: 260
Size:  34.6 KB

    15-96
    Name:  Attachment-221311.jpe
Views: 234
Size:  39.8 KB

  6. #6
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    sorry double post

  7. #7
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
    Ok, Im a little confused, (the following is a cut-n-paste from the description of the listing) what does this mean :

    Sew in style with this wonderful reproduction, of Singer Model # 15-91.

    "reproduction"? So thats not an original, is a reproduction?
    hhmm...I did not see that...will check it out again..
    if it were a repro, I am sure it would cost more than $395...At that price I am not sure what they are selling...it is pretty though..and could be very practical if you live where you lose power a lot...like OK!

    I contacted the guy to ask if it were really a repro or maybe a "rebuilt" model!
    That is a repro machine. Forget it and go for a vintage orphan.

    Just look on CLs for an old Singer machine that you can clean up and use. There are many all metal vintage machines that need a new home. I have a Singer that is a 122 years old that sews a beautiful straight stitch. And then I have one from 1953, that is my favorite since that lady sews beautiful stitches and treadles very quietly. Here is the picture of the 1953 Singer 201K in treadle. I just took the external motor off of her and dropped her into a Singer treadle cabinet. I picked up cabinet and treadle for free off of CLS and the machine just cost me $30.

    Have fun treadling!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I live in OK...on CL IF and I do mean IF you can find any sewing machine on there, they want HUGE amounts of money for it and it usually one that has been left out in a barn for years!

    I would love to find one like you manage to find on CL or on the CURB....

  9. #9
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I live in OK...on CL IF and I do mean IF you can find any sewing machine on there, they want HUGE amounts of money for it and it usually one that has been left out in a barn for years!

    I would love to find one like you manage to find on CL or on the CURB....
    Check out ebay. I got my 15-91 with the table for less than $100 and that was with shipping! Most of the time I see "local pickup only" but sometimes you get lucky and they are willing to ship for a reasonable cost.

  10. #10
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I live in OK...on CL IF and I do mean IF you can find any sewing machine on there, they want HUGE amounts of money for it and it usually one that has been left out in a barn for years!

    I would love to find one like you manage to find on CL or on the CURB....
    Take that barn one! It can be cleaned up, and I bet ya it will work for you! I purchased a barn machine for $30 (yes, again $30). It is a National Two Spools. It just needed a good oiling and cleaning. I only clean my machines with Singer sewing oil inside and out. I learned my lesson of having the decals turn silver by using other chemicals; so, now I only use the Singer sewing oil to clean the outside of machine up.

    Or start looking on the Shopgoodwill site for cheap deals. Ask friends or neighbors if they know of anyone.

    Be patient..the machine will find you. I always say that the machines find you..just like an orphan cat or dog.

    Pictures of the National Two Spools direct from the barn before cleaning and after in use making a Christmas table runner.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    yes, but here in OK that "barn" find would cost you $100! They think sewing was invented in OK and that everything sewing/quilting related is worth big bucks...even when it is NOT....

    I have had luck at some auctions, and once a year the thrift shop..but never on Freecycle or CL...

    I am bidding on a couple of vintage Bernina's on ebay now though...

  12. #12
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    yes, but here in OK that "barn" find would cost you $100! They think sewing was invented in OK and that everything sewing/quilting related is worth big bucks...even when it is NOT....

    I have had luck at some auctions, and once a year the thrift shop..but never on Freecycle or CL...

    I am bidding on a couple of vintage Bernina's on ebay now though...
    That is still a good deal! If it is a vintage Singer a 15-89/90 that is a good deal. I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle. If it is a $100 for machine, cabinet, and treadle that is a good deal. That machine will out live you, your kids, and grandkids. Another great Singer for treadle use to use are the Singer 66s, they can have decals that are the Redeyes, Lotus, and just simple gold pattern decal.

  13. #13
    Super Member jlm5419's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    My Sewing Room
    Posts
    1,184
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    yes, but here in OK that "barn" find would cost you $100! They think sewing was invented in OK and that everything sewing/quilting related is worth big bucks...even when it is NOT....

    I have had luck at some auctions, and once a year the thrift shop..but never on Freecycle or CL...

    I am bidding on a couple of vintage Bernina's on ebay now though...
    I got my first treadle machine, a Standard, while I was living in Oklahoma. I think I paid $50 for it. Added some oil and a new belt and she works quite well. Hang in there, the machines are out there, you just have to haunt Craigs List, estate sales, garage sales, thrift stores, and even Ebay. Sometimes you just get lucky if you keep your eyes open.

  14. #14
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!

  15. #15
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.

  16. #16
    Junior Member PrettyCurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196
    I got one a red head, I think it's called, in cabinate, but needs a belt, for . . . get this . . . $10.

    I always wanted one, but like Jacq said, they want over $100 for any old peice of junk, treadle or electric around here, too.
    but I am a firm believer that if there's anything you need, you will find it at a garage sale, and you will have enough money in your pocket for it. If ya don't, then another will come along.

    So I went to a garage sale on my way home, only had $14 in my pocket, saw two treadles, looked at em . . didn't dare touch em, cuz I didn't have that kinda of money . . saw no price, guy walked up and said "Pick one for $10" and I almost fell over, and I said "really?" then I think I gushed a bit, thanking him a lot, and promising to give it a good home, while loading it in the truck.

    So keep the faith, and you'll get one!
    I also got a Domestic Rotory for $15, a Singer Athena for $20 [machine was $5, manual cost me $10 on ebay, and foot petal cost me $5 for the machine it was attatched to] total. Shoot, I got my Janome at a thrift store and it was new in the box [discontinued model] for $30!!
    Seriously, there are bargains to be had if you look around. I had no luck on CL. All my bargains were items I found while garage saling.

  17. #17
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    [quote=PrettyCurious]I got one a red head, I think it's called, i

    Pretty Curious,
    I like your avatar!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    here is my reply from the guy selling it!

    GeorgiesWarehouse sent you a conversation on July 05, 2011.
    Singer "Sphinx" Treadle / Electric Sewing Machine, listing #72764663
    Hello.
    YES,this is a reproduction. These where made in the 1970's.
    Singer took designs from their model # 15 and #15-91 to combine the best of both, in a treadle machine with strength and nostalgic beauty.

    We added a new motor. Now days people want more than just a, "Show Piece".
    It will sew with treadle power, but it is so nice to be able to sew a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes.

    It has a regular drop in bobbin. Just like the #15-91 model.
    Hope this information is helpful.

    Enjoy the day.
    Georgie

  19. #19
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    here is my reply from the guy selling it!

    GeorgiesWarehouse sent you a conversation on July 05, 2011.
    Singer "Sphinx" Treadle / Electric Sewing Machine, listing #72764663
    Hello.
    YES,this is a reproduction. These where made in the 1970's.
    Singer took designs from their model # 15 and #15-91 to combine the best of both, in a treadle machine with strength and nostalgic beauty.

    We added a new motor. Now days people want more than just a, "Show Piece".
    It will sew with treadle power, but it is so nice to be able to sew a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes.

    It has a regular drop in bobbin. Just like the #15-91 model.
    Hope this information is helpful.

    Enjoy the day.
    Georgie


    Heehee, "a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes". This person has never used a treadle. Geez!

    Jaciqltznok, I live in the SF Bay Area where vintage machines are very expensive on CLs. I found mine by just looking for the posts that stated free, doesn't work, missing belt, I think it will work just missing belt, etc. So when I go to check out a machine, I will look the machine over, and then offer way low. Just because they state $100 doesn't mean you can't talk them down. The longer on CLs the better for you in getting a deal.

    Just be patient, the machine will find you!

    :)

  20. #20
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
    Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.

  21. #21
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
    Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.
    Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

    Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

    Sorry my mistake.

  22. #22
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
    Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.
    Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

    Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

    Sorry my mistake.
    I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.

  23. #23
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
    Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.
    Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

    Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

    Sorry my mistake.
    I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.
    Here is a link that I use a reference for the Singer 15 series (15-89, 15-90, 15-91) that I find very helpful in explaining similarities/differences of the machines and other issues (like motors).

    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

  24. #24
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
    I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
    Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
    Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.
    Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

    Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

    Sorry my mistake.
    I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.
    Here is a link that I use a reference for the Singer 15 series (15-89, 15-90, 15-91) that I find very helpful in explaining similarities/differences of the machines and other issues (like motors).

    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
    Yup, been there. Ordered a bunch of parts from them. Thanks!

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    46
    hmmm. I like my grandmother's treadle....I remember all the good times on it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.