Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Exploding Thermos! Anyone know a handyman? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/exploding-thermos-anyone-know-handyman-t95295.html)

MistyMarie 01-30-2011 01:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I get home last night from being out of town for a few days. I am talking to my MIL on the phone, commenting about a small crack in my ceiling where it looked like an old leak had caused some damage, so as I am looking around at my ceilings, I notice a big black hole in the ceiling above my kitchen counter. I was absolutely perplexed trying to figure out what happened. As I am walking around my counter to take a closer look I almost trip over a thermos on the kitchen floor. I pick it up and the odor is overwhelming. Inside some mush of fremented macaroni and cheese. My floor is sticky and my counter has some flecks of macaroni mush on it.

On Wednesday, my daughter had macaroni and cheese for lunch and I asked her to put her thermos on the counter in the kitchen. Since my dh has deployed, I just haven't had enough dishes to run a load more than once or twice a week, so I just put her thermos on the counter and forgot about it.

Sometime while we were gone, the macaroni and cheese fermented and built up so much pressure that the pressure blew the lid off the thermos with such force, it sent the thermos lid through the sheetrock in my ceiling. It is a good thing we were not here when it happened because I would have left a BIG puddle before I realized it was not a gun shot in my house! Needless to say, I am in the market for hiring a handyman.

The "innocent" thermos
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90751[/ATTACH]

The hole it left!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90765[/ATTACH]

ptquilts 01-30-2011 01:14 PM

wow, and I thought I was a "random" housekeeper!!

MistyMarie 01-30-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, and I thought I was a "random" housekeeper!!

Random? I don't quite understand.

Furza Flyin 01-30-2011 01:19 PM

Hello Kitty had a party. It's not that hard to repair they sell kits at the hard ware store.

dixiebelle162002 01-30-2011 01:19 PM

Ouch!!! I never would have thought about that happening :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ptquilts 01-30-2011 01:20 PM

you know, some days things get cleaned, some days they don't...

Definitely NOT Martha Stewart!!

np3 01-30-2011 01:20 PM

This is actually kind of scary! I didn't know that could happen. Fortunately my DH is a retired contractor and I could get it fixed right away. Hope you get help soon!

frugalfabrics 01-30-2011 01:20 PM

OMG~ That's some serious damage...good thing you all weren't home when it happened.

MistyMarie 01-30-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Hello Kitty had a party. It's not that hard to repair they sell kits at the hard ware store.

I thought about that, but I am worried it would look bad.
I put a hole through the basement wall a couple of years ago and tried to patch it. I made a mess and it looks horrible. I am just going to hire someone to fix it right... and fix the hole I tried to patch downstairs. Not only that, but standing on a ladder (or counter) to fix a ceiling is not something I am comfortable doing.

nativetexan 01-30-2011 01:23 PM

my goodness!! hang a picture over it!!!