Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Exploited? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/exploited-t95310.html)

PaperPrincess 01-30-2011 02:34 PM

Talk about exploited, just put 'marine' on any item and you can double the price. Boat owners really get soaked!

candi 01-30-2011 02:50 PM

Ok, here are my two cents about this topic. I am a woman, and I hate shopping, ok, I like to grocery shop because I love to cook, and I like to fabric shop because I quilt, but I am not a browser, nor deal grabber, I get what I need/want when I need/want it, my mom is this way too..my sister isn't. I know some men who love to shop for their hobbies, clothes or whatever, and shop deals and what not, I think the differences are more individually based than gender related, personally.

That being said, have you ever compared the prices of things like tennis rackets for men and women? I was aggravated when hubby and I went shopping to upgrade our tennis rackets, and to get the same quality rackets,mine was at least $20 more, and on sale, whie his wasn't. Got me thinking...

Kaye-Kaye 01-30-2011 02:53 PM

I don't think we are exploited. With any popular hobby, there are going to be items that are "must haves" and new tools and goodies constantly created. Whoever makes the products is going to charge whatever the market will bear. That is the same for anything made for anybody regardless of gender, age, etc. We all like our toys and are going to buy what we can afford.

bgullett 01-30-2011 03:00 PM

Just a commet on the cone holder. I do have one of those and do use it, but I also use a quart sized jar to hold my thread as well. It works pretty good. Just a suggestion.

BellaBoo 01-30-2011 03:02 PM

If you think long enough about what you get when you buy ANYTHING, you will soon realize you were exploited.
I don't understand why any spouse would want to make their spouse feel bad over a simple hobby purchase, worth the cost or not.

About the Go. Mine will be three years old this year and I've never had a problem with it. It has not been babied, I've probably done everything wrong that can be done to it. It's been dropped from the roof of the car to the pavement, jumped on by two toddlers, a contest to see who turned the handle the fastest between two 10 year old boys, had a Little Golden Book cranked through it, and even watered logged with a water hose. Cheap plastic? I don't think so. Best $350 I've spent for a quilting tool other then my sewing machine.

nativetexan 01-30-2011 03:23 PM

i had the light weight plastic thread holder, finally found one online that had a heavy base. love it!!!

Butterfli19 01-30-2011 03:34 PM

It depends on how you look at it. You buy by choice, not force, therefore. you are not exploited.

Rachelcb80 01-30-2011 03:36 PM

Like others I don't think this has anything to do with gender. Rather it has to do with specialty products. Anything that is designed specifically for a hobby use is usually overpriced in comparison to something that has multiple uses for daily life activities. All hobbies have unneccesary gadgets and junk they try and make you think you need. The key is to not get caught up in advertising and what others have. You can do a whole lot with very little. :)

Limey 01-30-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bgullett
Just a commet on the cone holder. I do have one of those and do use it, but I also use a quart sized jar to hold my thread as well. It works pretty good. Just a suggestion.

Thank you! The goal was to save on thread by using cones. I should say that my husband teases, but never bugs me about what I spend on my hobby. The cutter was my Xmas gift. He is quite proud of my quilts and has even attended the occasional show! I think he feels the same way about men's and women's clothes; his last forever.

BellaBoo 01-30-2011 03:39 PM

DH made me a thread holder, it's heavy enough to use as door stop in a tornado. I found a wood base one at a craft show and use it the most.