Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric District in LA (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-district-la-t216762.html)

tesspug 03-20-2013 01:17 PM

In case you haven't been, there is an amazing fabric store in Anaheim. M&L Discount Fabrics. 3430 W Ball Rd
Anaheim, CA 92804. South on the 5, go west on Ball Rd. About 25 miles south of Los Angeles. Tons of inexpensive, nice quality, quilting fabric. The service is not that great. Last time I was there I got Alexander Henry fabrics for $3 a yard. I am not affiliated in any way.

Diannia 03-20-2013 02:14 PM

I don't think you're being snarky! DQF is Dear Quilt Friend.

Diannia

travlr99 03-20-2013 03:31 PM

Have been - it is next to garment district (and next to jewelery district) There is one fabric store that is "joanne-like" -Michael Levine on Maple Ave. You can't miss it. The cottons are better quality that the rest of the stores, and the prices are great. They also have home decor, dress making etc. If you can, try M&L fabrics on Ball Ave in Anaheim - the quilting fabric is fabulous and the prices are great ( heavy on quilting fabric) HAVE FUN

Girlfriend 03-20-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 5940438)
It's called the fashion district and has a web site with maps and it can be highlighted for fabric. We went last fall. Some is home dec. What I saw was a lot of glamorous fabric. The prices were great, be sure to dicker. They also had embelishments with great prices. It isn't like going to a mall. The parking is in lots that charge. If you like hunting, it's loads of fun. YES-either leave by 3:00pm or plan to stay after 7:00PM, LA downtown traffic is horrible at rush hour, even on Sunday.

Anyone know of quilting fabric in fashion district?

I have been several times and have been unsuccessful finding 100% cotton fabrics for quilting. I did find, however, a store with a large selection of African fabrics with decent prices that I used for a quilt.

I believe the garment district is for sewing garments....anyone else have any luck finding cotton fabrics??

I don't particularly feel safe in those neighborhoods, just FYI.

Agree with Tesspug, Mel's and Jenny's (Magnolia and Warner) have GREAT deals. I was just there today. They have $2.79 fabrics in the back of the store. (Flatfolds). When they take fabric off the bolt, they fold it and set in in the back. I have been lucky to been there just after they sent a lot of fabric to the back....lots of Moda and other great fabrics. Much better deal than driving into Los Angeles!

fmhall2 03-21-2013 06:26 AM

My husband and I went down there for a day about 25 years ago. Lots of possibilities for fabric and clothes and thread, but I have no idea what it is like now.

amyjo 03-21-2013 07:23 AM

I have been meaning to ask what does BFF or BBF stand for? I am one who likes words also, but can usually figure out DH or DS which could mean dear son, dear sister or the DSIL could be dear son in law or dear sister in law. JMHO

purplefiend 03-21-2013 09:56 AM

I used to shop at M&L fabrics years ago, glad to hear that they're still in business. I lived in Anaheim,CA from 1983-91.

Jim's Gem 03-21-2013 03:40 PM

I have never been to the LA Garment district. I am not a fan of visiting the city.
I have been to M & L several times. They have lots and lots of quilting fabrics and the prices are several dollars a yard less than quilt shop prices for the same fabrics. They did raise their prices over the great deal it used to be but it is still a good deal!