Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric for tuxedo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-tuxedo-t142857.html)

quilt1950 08-05-2011 10:03 AM

My grandson, age 7, has been asking for a tuxedo for over a year. I found a McCall's costume pattern on sale for 99 cents. Now I'm looking for fabric. Any ideas where I can find appropriate black fabric without spending a fortune? I need 5 yards.

I've tried the local fabric stores, as well as Fabric.com. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

jljack 08-05-2011 10:04 AM

Use some black polyester...it'll wash and be inexpensive to buy.

alikat110 08-05-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Use some black polyester...it'll wash and be inexpensive to buy.

That should do it.

Lori S 08-05-2011 10:10 AM

I would use a suit weight polyester gabardine.

amma 08-05-2011 10:16 AM

There is also a cotton sateen that might work too :D:D:D

janell2009 08-05-2011 10:25 AM

If it is just for a play costume a bed sheet would work... cheap at wallmart.. $5 for a full size flat sheet in black.

quilt1950 08-05-2011 10:26 AM

I will check the fabric stores tomorrow. I forgot about polyester gabardine, and somehow missed it when I went shopping. Probably because I was concentrating on the clearance aisles! Thanks.

Now, my vent. It seems pattern companies are including less info on the back of the patterns envelopes. This fabric seems to be 58" wide. The envelope only includes yardage for fabric that is 45" wide. Guess I will need to do some calculating before I hit the store.

My grandson has a mind of his own when it comes to clothes. He will want to wear this to church and school. I suspect he will be allowed to wear it to church, but not school. But that will be my daughter's fight!

quilt1950 08-05-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
If it is just for a play costume a bed sheet would work... cheap at wallmart.. $5 for a full size flat sheet in black.

I don't think I have seen black bed sheets! The last time I was in Walmart the twin sheets were $5.00. Still a good price, but a 25% increase in price.

dd 08-05-2011 12:47 PM

The clearance section at Joanns usually has pretty nice fabrics that are 58/60" wide. They will be able to tell you how much fabric you need at the cutting table, or should be able to, they should have a conversion chart. You won't however, have the layout for that width fabric. I used light weight washable wool blend suiting for a young man's pants. He didn't want the jacket. What are you using for the sating lapels?

emerald46 08-05-2011 01:04 PM

My SIL made 5 tux w/tails jackets for her son's senior prom. He and 4 friends were not happy w/what was available at tux rental shops. She used all LQS cottons. Amazing the work she did and the TIME each jacket took. The boys were awesome looking. Jackets were each different in fabrics and colors. Their dates brought gowns to match the major color in bf's jacket.