Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Fabric for tuxedo

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    My grandson, age 7, has been asking for a tuxedo for over a year. I found a McCall's costume pattern on sale for 99 cents. Now I'm looking for fabric. Any ideas where I can find appropriate black fabric without spending a fortune? I need 5 yards.

    I've tried the local fabric stores, as well as Fabric.com. Any other ideas?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Use some black polyester...it'll wash and be inexpensive to buy.

  3. #3
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,217
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Use some black polyester...it'll wash and be inexpensive to buy.
    That should do it.

  4. #4
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I would use a suit weight polyester gabardine.

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is also a cotton sateen that might work too :D:D:D

  6. #6
    Senior Member janell2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    419
    If it is just for a play costume a bed sheet would work... cheap at wallmart.. $5 for a full size flat sheet in black.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    I will check the fabric stores tomorrow. I forgot about polyester gabardine, and somehow missed it when I went shopping. Probably because I was concentrating on the clearance aisles! Thanks.

    Now, my vent. It seems pattern companies are including less info on the back of the patterns envelopes. This fabric seems to be 58" wide. The envelope only includes yardage for fabric that is 45" wide. Guess I will need to do some calculating before I hit the store.

    My grandson has a mind of his own when it comes to clothes. He will want to wear this to church and school. I suspect he will be allowed to wear it to church, but not school. But that will be my daughter's fight!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    If it is just for a play costume a bed sheet would work... cheap at wallmart.. $5 for a full size flat sheet in black.
    I don't think I have seen black bed sheets! The last time I was in Walmart the twin sheets were $5.00. Still a good price, but a 25% increase in price.

  9. #9
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,817
    The clearance section at Joanns usually has pretty nice fabrics that are 58/60" wide. They will be able to tell you how much fabric you need at the cutting table, or should be able to, they should have a conversion chart. You won't however, have the layout for that width fabric. I used light weight washable wool blend suiting for a young man's pants. He didn't want the jacket. What are you using for the sating lapels?

  10. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    My SIL made 5 tux w/tails jackets for her son's senior prom. He and 4 friends were not happy w/what was available at tux rental shops. She used all LQS cottons. Amazing the work she did and the TIME each jacket took. The boys were awesome looking. Jackets were each different in fabrics and colors. Their dates brought gowns to match the major color in bf's jacket.

  11. #11
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    You would have a blast at the fashion district in NYC. I once entered a store that had only fabrics for men's shirts next door to another one that sold fabrics for men't suits and tuxedos. They prefer to cater to the wholesale customer, but unless they have a posted outside, they have to sell retail.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    My SIL made 5 tux w/tails jackets for her son's senior prom. He and 4 friends were not happy w/what was available at tux rental shops. She used all LQS cottons. Amazing the work she did and the TIME each jacket took. The boys were awesome looking. Jackets were each different in fabrics and colors. Their dates brought gowns to match the major color in bf's jacket.
    I'm hoping, that since I bought a costume pattern, it won't be so involved. I made my DH a sport coat ONE time. Wish I could see a picture of the jackets she made.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by dd
    The clearance section at Joanns usually has pretty nice fabrics that are 58/60" wide. They will be able to tell you how much fabric you need at the cutting table, or should be able to, they should have a conversion chart. You won't however, have the layout for that width fabric. I used light weight washable wool blend suiting for a young man's pants. He didn't want the jacket. What are you using for the sating lapels?
    I don't think my grandson realized the lapels should be satin. Shhhh.
    I've checked the clearance section several times, in several stores. Could have bought a drab green, but no appropriate black.

    How hard was it to make the pants? I inherited several fabrics that would be appropriate for dress pants, but I'm leary of the zipper and waistband.

  14. #14
    Super Member Lisanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,263
    If he wants to really wear it and not just use it as a costume, please make it out of good material for him. Real pants material, not bedsheets.

    I wonder if you could find a used man's tux somewhere and just cut the pattern from that material?

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    If he wants to really wear it and not just use it as a costume, please make it out of good material for him. Real pants material, not bedsheets.

    I wonder if you could find a used man's tux somewhere and just cut the pattern from that material?
    I've wondered about cutting down an existing tux, but I'm worried about cutting around the pockets, all the seams, etc. I think I would have to find a very large size, in order for this to work. I am going to look at the gabardine suggested in an earlier post. I can't see the bed sheet 'hanging' correctly.

  16. #16
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950

    Now, my vent. It seems pattern companies are including less info on the back of the patterns envelopes. This fabric seems to be 58" wide. The envelope only includes yardage for fabric that is 45" wide. Guess I will need to do some calculating before I hit the store.
    Try this: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/fabr...-pages-348.php

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950

    Now, my vent. It seems pattern companies are including less info on the back of the patterns envelopes. This fabric seems to be 58" wide. The envelope only includes yardage for fabric that is 45" wide. Guess I will need to do some calculating before I hit the store.
    Try this: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/fabr...-pages-348.php
    WOW, I didn't know this existed. This is great. Thanks.

  18. #18
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    Quote Originally Posted by dd
    The clearance section at Joanns usually has pretty nice fabrics that are 58/60" wide. They will be able to tell you how much fabric you need at the cutting table, or should be able to, they should have a conversion chart. You won't however, have the layout for that width fabric. I used light weight washable wool blend suiting for a young man's pants. He didn't want the jacket. What are you using for the sating lapels?
    I don't think my grandson realized the lapels should be satin. Shhhh.
    I've checked the clearance section several times, in several stores. Could have bought a drab green, but no appropriate black.

    How hard was it to make the pants? I inherited several fabrics that would be appropriate for dress pants, but I'm leary of the zipper and waistband.
    Oh, I do a lot of clothing sewing so the pants were no problem. Just be sure to follow the directions in the pattern and you will be fine. PP me if you have any problems. I teach 4H sewing. Since he didn't have a jacket to match, I just used ribbon for the stripe down the side. Made my grandson a white one piece satin tux for his baptism outfit. He was so cute. He went bare footed.

  19. #19
    Senior Member janell2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    If it is just for a play costume a bed sheet would work... cheap at wallmart.. $5 for a full size flat sheet in black.
    I don't think I have seen black bed sheets! The last time I was in Walmart the twin sheets were $5.00. Still a good price, but a 25% increase in price.
    Well they do have black bed sheets I have purchased one. I think you are correct it was twin size not full for $5.. the full was $9. I made lots of kids costumes over the years and some I spent lots of time and money on, they grew out of them fast in one year, so I learned that it is about making it fit them now and making them comfortable and getting the jist of what they wanted.. such as a tux. He is 7 he will grow out of it fast... so most important get it made while he wants it and make sure it is comfortable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.