Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Favorite Breed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/favorite-breed-t156760.html)

valsma 09-29-2011 08:07 AM

I've been reading about girliegirl's Sibiran Husky's and many people have said this is thier favorite breed.

I was wondering do you have a favorite breed or are you like me who adores the breed of the pet you have at the time? I don't think other than golden retiever I have ever had the same breed of dog twice. I've loved certain traits about each animal when I had them.

I would choose to have another doxi or scotty if I was going to go purchase one, but i'm more of a mutt kinda girl. I've found some of the best dogs I've had were rescue, pound, or found.

QBeth 09-29-2011 08:13 AM

Same here with loving whoever is with me. My family had black labs when I was growing up. My favorite, though I've never owned one, is the Mastiff!! There have been a couple in my neighborhood. The most recent was Tonka - whenever he saw me, he'd come galloping up for a head rub.

blondeslave 09-29-2011 08:16 AM

I like other breeds but I will always have basset hounds. They have a reputation as lazy, slow, not terribly bright dogs but that is a huge misconception. Now I will admit that my boys have not been the brightest bulbs but the girls constantly keep me on my toes. Huggie Bear is smart as anything and she thinks through tasks. They are stubborn, clever and mischievous and absolute lovebugs. They always make me laugh with their antics.

scowlkat 09-29-2011 08:27 AM

We seem to attract strays - mainly because this area is considered a pet dumping ground I guess! I have a long hair chihuahua that I rescued and he is bonded to me for life. We also have a jack russell/fox terrier mix that we rescued. But the absolute best dog ever was one we found at a fishing pier and we had no idea what he was except all love. The vet thought he had some Basenji in him because of the way his tail curled and his rather odd bark - which didn't happen often. Unfortunately a pack of wild dogs that ran through here attacked Oscar and killed him. It broke my heart and after the two we still have cross the bridge, I doubt I will ever love another dog. I will stick with cats.

P.S. Neighbors banded together and we got rid of the wild dogs. It was rather scary for a while because they killed another dog and attacked some others. Everyone had to keep their kids inside.

sewgull 09-29-2011 08:31 AM

Mixed breed is my favorite. They less health problems than so-called pure breeds.

charismah 09-29-2011 08:31 AM

Well I have to say that I am a mutt kind of girl myself?? LOL

However...my favorite dog was a malmute husky..I had her for 13 years. I think because that is who I had at the time so she was my favorite. ) I am pretty sure she was a mix.

Currently we have a Yellow lab....and an english mastiff both papered.
Training the lab..was a night mare...but he is really a very goo dog now..incredibly smart....very affectionate and the perfect dog to have with kids. Fetch..loving...we can take him anywhere with us.

We also have an English Mastiff. She was the easiest dog we have ever potty trained...it took about a week..(not even kidding!). But our particular dog is a nervous Nellie and very protective over our family...so we can't take her anywhere because she is scared of anyone that gets to close. LOL She doesn't attack which is really good..she just paces and makes sure to get in between strangers and us..more of an annoyance to me than anything. But everyone loves her. Once she gets to know people she is the sweetest most affectionate dog.

SO I guess I am one of those..whatever I own is the best. But My DH would only every buy an English Mastiff again..he keeps trying to a dd another to our family.

Katydid2 09-29-2011 08:32 AM

Doxies for me -- however I currently have 4 dogs listed oldest to youngest: Kiara - pointer/lab cross (inheired from daughter when she moved out), Bailey - german shorthair (pound puppy to keep the 1st one company), Chloe - daschund/pitbull cross who is the size of a basset hound (went with my sister to get a dog and this one sat in my lap the whole time so she went home with me), and a longhaired chocolate dapple mini daschund [once again went with my sister and a longhair chocolate has always been my "wish I had one so that I could name her Lady Godiva" and she was the only longhair out of the litter -- honestly I wasn't looking :) ] and I call her KC. I say I won't have any more when these are gone but you never know :)

ptquilts 09-29-2011 08:42 AM

I don't currently have a pet but if I was going to get a dog, it would be a rescue greyhound. They seem to me to be the closest thing in the dog world to a cat (elegant, laid back...)

quiltsRfun 09-29-2011 08:42 AM

We've had two beagles and and two mutts. I guess my favorite dog was my mutt. She was our first dog, had the best temperment and was very healthy. She set a high standard for the pets to follow. Our first beagle was a character with a stubborn streak and multiple health problems. I loved them both dearly and now rate dogs on the Pokey/Lucy scale. Our current dogs fall somewhere in the middle temperment-wise and at the top of the scale health-wise. I really think I could love any dog.

azdesertrat 09-29-2011 08:48 AM

Great Danes! hands down