Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Favorite Meal for Celebrating (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/favorite-meal-celebrating-t304682.html)

bearisgray 05-12-2019 02:17 PM

Favorite Meal for Celebrating

Not exactly sure where this should go - so mod - please move if I guessed incorrectly. I debated between recipes, GCC, and personal announcements.

This isn't about recipes, but is about food. It is personal, but I think it is more or less general, because I think many people do have "special meals" for "events"

My DH offered to take me out for a steak for Mother's Day - or to take me out for breakfast.

Which was nice.

I cooked "big breakfast" for us yesterday- mostly because it causes me pain to pay $45 to $50 for the three of us when I can make the equivalent meal for $15 or less.

I do like Asian - so tonight we will be having take-out chicken in garlic sauce from a local restaurant.

My daughter wanted eggs benedict for her special meal today.

What is your favorite "special" meal?

quilt1950 05-12-2019 03:16 PM

I also don't like to spend $$$$ on a meal I can cook myself for much less - and can control the amount of salt, or the ratio of meat vs vegies.

DH is recuperating from a serious surgery, and today is chilly and rainy, and he thought homemade chicken noodle soup would be good. So that was my Mother's Day meal.

We like to smoke a turkey for big family gatherings. I usually make cheesy hash browns to go with it, and a strawberry jello salad that all the grands like. These can be make ahead, so I'm not tied to the kitchen while everyone else is visiting. Add a few vegies, and maybe rolls, and I have a meal.

tranum 05-12-2019 04:03 PM

If family calls, they seem to enjoy:

goulash, fresh buns (homemade or frozen) Caesar salad or orange jello salad. ( DGS’s wife called next day for goulash recipe - she’s a kitchen novice but everyone has to learn, right ? ) Ice cream sandwiches, cookies or orange push ups are usually in freezer. One GS says he counts on an orange push up when he stops.

I think we should do one big ”whoopie” in the Summer to cover 2 birthdays (mine & DH) plus Mothers & Fathers Day.

Tothill 05-12-2019 04:42 PM

For me it depends on the time of year and the occasion. Today we have having Prime Rib for Mother's Day.

My son and I love lamb and during the summer we will BBQ lamb fairly often.

If we are going out, which I do appreciate, I love to go to our local wine bar for Tapas. Small plates of interesting food that I would never make at home. On a similar note, Dim Sum is fun and a great way to sample different foods.

My sil and brother's family love my lasagne. I house sit for them one week each summer and always leave a lasagne in the fridge for them. They can either cook it when they get home or freeze it for a later meal. My sil works hard as a physician and I like to leave the house a bit tidier than when they left and some food in the freezer too. Last year I house sat right before school started. I baked 3 doz banana choc chip muffins and froze them for school lunches.

Mkotch 05-13-2019 02:47 AM

My roots are Dutch-Indonesian, so my favorite meal is "rijsttafel," lots of small Indo. dishes, sate, gado gado (salad with peanut sauce), and trimmings. I make it for special occasions depending on who's there as some people don't like spicy food. Yesterday, for mothers day, I made BLTs for lunch and pizza for dinner - both favorites, too, with a side order of chocolate!

rjwilder 05-13-2019 03:26 AM

Bearisgray, I agree with you, Mother's Day Brunch in my area is $40. a person, I'm 100 pounds, there is no way I could eat enough food to enjoy all the goodies on the buffet. My hubby isn't a big eater either so we saved $80.00. Hubby made, bacon, potatoes, eggs, toast. He bought a bottle of champagne and a piece of cheesecake to split. We had plenty of food and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Our family is on the opposite coast so it was a quiet day, I sewed most of the day.

lindaschipper 05-13-2019 03:38 AM

We also had a quiet day as all of our children (his and mine) live in different states, although they did call. Sometimes we make reservations for a meal ( don't mind paying the price ) and other times I'll cook. For Mothers Day I fixed him chicken wings which is something I dislike totally. I had a good nap during the day and a sandwich for dinner. Nothing major this year!

Stitchnripper 05-13-2019 04:15 AM

We now live close to one son and his husband. They cooked me a delicious meal - I had that choice or to go out. Honestly - my special meal is any one I don’t cook although my cooking has taken a big leap with the Instant Pot. Mr Stitchnripper and I don’t go out often anymore although he wouldn’t mind. It is easier to control what we eat if I make it. I like to go out to a really nice place with great service and food I wouldn’t make at home. And not too often because then it isn’t special.

SusieQOH 05-13-2019 04:30 AM

I have to say sushi. I love it. That's one thing my husband doesn't make.

QuiltMom2 05-13-2019 04:38 AM

For grandkids, dessert of any kind!! Good weather: steaks on grill with salad from garden. Rained yesterday, so baked chops and I thought I had enough potatoes to fill both Maine and Idaho, but not with son/ SIL present.