Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Meal for Celebrating

Power Poster

Favorite Meal for Celebrating

Not exactly sure where this should go - so mod - please move if I guessed incorrectly. I debated between recipes, GCC, and personal announcements.

This isn't about recipes, but is about food. It is personal, but I think it is more or less general, because I think many people do have "special meals" for "events"

My DH offered to take me out for a steak for Mother's Day - or to take me out for breakfast.

Which was nice.

I cooked "big breakfast" for us yesterday- mostly because it causes me pain to pay $45 to $50 for the three of us when I can make the equivalent meal for $15 or less.

I do like Asian - so tonight we will be having take-out chicken in garlic sauce from a local restaurant.

My daughter wanted eggs benedict for her special meal today.

What is your favorite "special" meal?

I also don't like to spend $$$$ on a meal I can cook myself for much less - and can control the amount of salt, or the ratio of meat vs vegies.

DH is recuperating from a serious surgery, and today is chilly and rainy, and he thought homemade chicken noodle soup would be good. So that was my Mother's Day meal.

We like to smoke a turkey for big family gatherings. I usually make cheesy hash browns to go with it, and a strawberry jello salad that all the grands like. These can be make ahead, so I'm not tied to the kitchen while everyone else is visiting. Add a few vegies, and maybe rolls, and I have a meal.

If family calls, they seem to enjoy:

goulash, fresh buns (homemade or frozen) Caesar salad or orange jello salad. ( DGS’s wife called next day for goulash recipe - she’s a kitchen novice but everyone has to learn, right ? ) Ice cream sandwiches, cookies or orange push ups are usually in freezer. One GS says he counts on an orange push up when he stops.

I think we should do one big ”whoopie” in the Summer to cover 2 birthdays (mine & DH) plus Mothers & Fathers Day.

Blog Entries
    For me it depends on the time of year and the occasion. Today we have having Prime Rib for Mother's Day.

My son and I love lamb and during the summer we will BBQ lamb fairly often.

If we are going out, which I do appreciate, I love to go to our local wine bar for Tapas. Small plates of interesting food that I would never make at home. On a similar note, Dim Sum is fun and a great way to sample different foods.

My sil and brother's family love my lasagne. I house sit for them one week each summer and always leave a lasagne in the fridge for them. They can either cook it when they get home or freeze it for a later meal. My sil works hard as a physician and I like to leave the house a bit tidier than when they left and some food in the freezer too. Last year I house sat right before school started. I baked 3 doz banana choc chip muffins and froze them for school lunches.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

My roots are Dutch-Indonesian, so my favorite meal is "rijsttafel," lots of small Indo. dishes, sate, gado gado (salad with peanut sauce), and trimmings. I make it for special occasions depending on who's there as some people don't like spicy food. Yesterday, for mothers day, I made BLTs for lunch and pizza for dinner - both favorites, too, with a side order of chocolate!

Bearisgray, I agree with you, Mother's Day Brunch in my area is $40. a person, I'm 100 pounds, there is no way I could eat enough food to enjoy all the goodies on the buffet. My hubby isn't a big eater either so we saved $80.00. Hubby made, bacon, potatoes, eggs, toast. He bought a bottle of champagne and a piece of cheesecake to split. We had plenty of food and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Our family is on the opposite coast so it was a quiet day, I sewed most of the day.

We also had a quiet day as all of our children (his and mine) live in different states, although they did call. Sometimes we make reservations for a meal ( don't mind paying the price ) and other times I'll cook. For Mothers Day I fixed him chicken wings which is something I dislike totally. I had a good nap during the day and a sandwich for dinner. Nothing major this year!

We now live close to one son and his husband. They cooked me a delicious meal - I had that choice or to go out. Honestly - my special meal is any one I don’t cook although my cooking has taken a big leap with the Instant Pot. Mr Stitchnripper and I don’t go out often anymore although he wouldn’t mind. It is easier to control what we eat if I make it. I like to go out to a really nice place with great service and food I wouldn’t make at home. And not too often because then it isn’t special.
    Alyce

I have to say sushi. I love it. That's one thing my husband doesn't make.

For grandkids, dessert of any kind!! Good weather: steaks on grill with salad from garden. Rained yesterday, so baked chops and I thought I had enough potatoes to fill both Maine and Idaho, but not with son/ SIL present.

We don't have any family around - it's just me and my son, who is a great cook. When he asks what I want for special occasions I always say black bean burgers and sweet potato fries. He makes the burgers using canned black beans (and other stuff) and they are delicious. (I don't eat meat.) We have this for Christmas dinner too! Another of my favorites that he cooks is risotto with buttnernut squash. On his special days, I take him out.

I agree with Stitchnripper. My special occasion meal is any one I don't have to cook! For Mother's Day it was steak kabobs and strawberry shortcake. Since we've been on a mostly meatless diet for a few months, that was a treat.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

When I was young and still at home, my favorite meal out was shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, and New York cheesecake. My Dad would always jokingly say, "I think you just look at the most expensive menu items!". I still like that but would add a spinach salad and a twice baked potato and maybe carrot cake instead. But, like a lot of people, any meal I don't have to cook is the best. The best gift my DH gave me was to cook every other night once he retired. It has been fabulous and he has gotten very good at it too.

Blog Entries
    Filet of Mallard cooked in mushroom soup with wild rice, onion rings and a side of green beans, french bread with plenty of butter and garlic salt. That was when I was a kid at home and Dad was a hunter.

I love food but it's the people that share it with me that I appreciate the most. I also enjoy meals for one, when I can think of the people that are or were a part of my life, both living and not.

Fifty-ish years ago we had our 1st date at this little Italian restaurant downtown. So that’s where we go when it’s a special occasion. Our anniversary is today so that’s where we’re headed later. The food tastes pretty much the samd as it did back then, which is great because it’s changed hands.

if it’s a special meal I make at home, it would most likely be something involving steak.
    Lori

We can grill steak at home so we don’t go out for that very often. VFW makes the very best hamburgers & fries. I don’t make stir fry at home so we go out for that but not often because it’s sodium overload. Christmas was prime rib but the girls added to the family just pick & waste so much so ... DH says no more.

My favorite go to special occasion meal is pork roast with all the trimmings! On Mother's Day or when it's my birthday, I either ask for lamb or shrimp and grits, My DH makes both better than most restaurants!!
    On his special days, he always asks me to make scalloped potatoes with ham.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Power Poster
    ​For me it is who is gathered around the table rather then what is on it. A bowl of soup with the people I love surpasses any royal feast.

I have so many special meals that it's hard to pick just one. If I am cooking it is my chicken and noodles - but no one else wants to do it for fear of messing it up. (Which I can understand, I wouldn't have fixed it for my mother either - hers was the best!) But my DH and kids were cooking so it was carne asada with our macaroni /shrimp salad, and potato salad (which I made the day before because it always tastes better the second day).

We love to go out to eat but not on Mother's Day, Valentines Day, or any holiday. Those are days to be together at home with family. (It can be any member's home - it just needs to be at a home.)

wonderful 'different viewpoint' topic bear!
    When I'm sickish, strong tea, toasted cheese (thin cheddar) sandwich. The sandwich picked apart tiny piece by tiny piece.

I do really love a good buffet, I can go back 10 times getting just the littlest piece of each thing. Rob fills a plate with a normal meal (meat and gravy, or sausage and eggs for instance and he is done. Not worth the effort or cost! Around here they are $35.00 to $40.00 a person for special occasions.

A meal out is a rare treat so we go for Chinese as a rule.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-13-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: in poor taste.

My favorite meal for celebrating is the one I do not have to cook.

We had brats, pork steak burgers, ball park franks, buns for them. Bought potato salad, lettuce, sliced tomatoes. A Grandson's girlfriend made her Chocolate Eclair cake. The Grands had eaten at the girl's parents houses so they weren't hungry. Youngest Grandson is 16 others are older, one married, two not. We always spend a lot of time talking and love it. I got a beautiful card from one Grandson and gift cards to Red Lobster and Olive Garden we will use later.

Our late Son use to buy me a dozen of Krispy Kreme Donuts for Mother's Day and my birthday. I miss that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My favorite meal depends on who I'm with, and where we go. DH and I love one or two special restaurants, so we go there, and order steaks/seafood/pasta, depending on what they are offering at the time. Our sons love to try any and everything different, so we have been to several places that we can say "nice to visit once" and not go back. My go to, favorite meal is a nice hunk of steak, cooked rare, served with sauteed portebellas, a nice au gratin, and balsamic/spinach/strawberry salad. If a veggie is available it's asparagus. If I have room, mint chocolate chip ice-cream finishes the meal, and I'm in 7th heaven!!

Blog Entries
    I don’t really have a favorite meal. I miss my husband and his cooking! I would love a bowl of his onion soup! I don’t like to go to a restaurant on a holiday because it is to rushed, poorer service and higher prices. I feel sorry for the waitstaff! One son and his family are just down the street so I was invited down for coffee. So much fun with them and the teenagers. We were back and forth all day. My freezer is stocked with mini eclairs for the kids. It was a nice day. I got lots of attention from grown children from Texas and Florida.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast