Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Feather pillows... What can I do with them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/feather-pillows-what-can-i-do-them-t275539.html)

booklady 02-08-2016 08:02 AM

Feather pillows... What can I do with them?

I have 4-5 old feather pillows that no one around here likes to use anymore. What can I do or repurpose them? Any suggestions? THANKS

NJ Quilter 02-08-2016 03:33 PM

If you dare, combine them and and make 2 'fluffier' ones????

Tartan 02-08-2016 03:50 PM

How about making a body pillow? I have one with a Minky cover that I keep on my couch. I also throw it on the hearth for extra sitting during parties.

marge954 02-08-2016 04:55 PM

I hate the stiff, hard sofa pillows you buy so I re-purpose my old feather pillows into sofa pillows. I make a double liner to stuff the feathers into and then make an envelope case so I can change out the case if I want.

LavenderBlue 02-08-2016 05:22 PM

carolaiken, such a great idea!!

paoberle 02-09-2016 04:48 AM

Toss them out. Pillows absorb all sorts of stuff over time.

P-BurgKay 02-09-2016 07:07 AM

Before repurposing feather pillows, wash them. Make sure the seams are solid. Throw them in the washer on warm water with a little mild detergent and let them wash. Dry them in the dryer with some clean tennis shoes. You will have to take them out every so often to fluff them up. It does take some time to dry them. In the summer time and nice weather, I will hang them on the line and fluff them up every once in a while. Don't be shocked, you know, chickens and geese get wet and do just fine.

NikkiLu 02-09-2016 07:19 AM

Years ago there was an old converted school bus that came to our town once a year or so. It was advertised in the newspaper a week ahead of time. You could take all of your old feather pillows to them - they parked next to a dry cleaner. They would take the feathers out of the ticking, run them though some sort of a cleaner (think big fan) and clean all of the "dust", etc. out of them and then blow them back into a brand new pillow ticking. It was a man and his wife. So, you could drop off your pillows one day and pick them up in a day or two, inside of the cleaners, cleaned and in a new ticking and in a plastic bag. The cost was very small - maybe $10 per pillow. But worth it as my pillows came from my mother-in-law who was born in 1898 and raised 10 children during the depression. She raised the geese that she plucked the feathers from once a year. But, sadly, I have not seen that pillow cleaning company come through here in many years - guess the need for their services has disappeared.

janeknapp 02-09-2016 08:05 AM

NikkiLu, sometimes a dry cleaner store will clean feather pillows doing what you described.

Wanabee Quiltin 02-09-2016 08:13 AM

I wash my pillows myself and dry them in my home dryer. Each month, I throw them back in the dryer to clean and fluff them. I would wash and dry them and if you don't want them, donate them to thrift stores.