Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Feather pillows... What can I do with them?

Feather pillows... What can I do with them?

I have 4-5 old feather pillows that no one around here likes to use anymore. What can I do or repurpose them? Any suggestions? THANKS

If you dare, combine them and and make 2 'fluffier' ones????

Power Poster
    How about making a body pillow? I have one with a Minky cover that I keep on my couch. I also throw it on the hearth for extra sitting during parties.

I hate the stiff, hard sofa pillows you buy so I re-purpose my old feather pillows into sofa pillows. I make a double liner to stuff the feathers into and then make an envelope case so I can change out the case if I want.

carolaiken, such a great idea!!

Toss them out. Pillows absorb all sorts of stuff over time.

Before repurposing feather pillows, wash them. Make sure the seams are solid. Throw them in the washer on warm water with a little mild detergent and let them wash. Dry them in the dryer with some clean tennis shoes. You will have to take them out every so often to fluff them up. It does take some time to dry them. In the summer time and nice weather, I will hang them on the line and fluff them up every once in a while. Don't be shocked, you know, chickens and geese get wet and do just fine.

Blog Entries
    Years ago there was an old converted school bus that came to our town once a year or so. It was advertised in the newspaper a week ahead of time. You could take all of your old feather pillows to them - they parked next to a dry cleaner. They would take the feathers out of the ticking, run them though some sort of a cleaner (think big fan) and clean all of the "dust", etc. out of them and then blow them back into a brand new pillow ticking. It was a man and his wife. So, you could drop off your pillows one day and pick them up in a day or two, inside of the cleaners, cleaned and in a new ticking and in a plastic bag. The cost was very small - maybe $10 per pillow. But worth it as my pillows came from my mother-in-law who was born in 1898 and raised 10 children during the depression. She raised the geese that she plucked the feathers from once a year. But, sadly, I have not seen that pillow cleaning company come through here in many years - guess the need for their services has disappeared.
    Nikki in MO

NikkiLu, sometimes a dry cleaner store will clean feather pillows doing what you described.

I wash my pillows myself and dry them in my home dryer. Each month, I throw them back in the dryer to clean and fluff them. I would wash and dry them and if you don't want them, donate them to thrift stores.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Toss them out. Pillows absorb all sorts of stuff over time.
    Feather pillows are quite washable. I have two that belonged to my mom and I have washed and dried them many times. They fluff up wonderfully and all dust mites are gone.

I used to take my pillows to those traveling feather pillow cleaning trucks also, but they don't come around as often. Am glad to read that the pillows are washable. I'm going up right now to throw mine in the washer. Thank you all for your input. Never thought about those poor geese getting rained on!!! LOL

I have a number of my grandmothers down pillows and I wash them. Bought ticking and recovered them a few years ago, but they do wash and dry, drying can take a while but do not put more than two at a time in dryer and they dry faster.

Thanks for all the suggestions. iAd actually thought about buying some down to go with them and make a big duvet for the bed!

Blog Entries
    There is nothing warmer in the winter or cooler in the summer than a feather blanket. You should be able to make one in a twin size with your pillows. That is one of my next projects. I have old feather blankets and pillows that I can use for a nice puffy feather blanket. It could be sewn in a box pattern! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I change bed pillows every year, sometimes twice a year. I wash bed pillows used every day once a month so I want easy to wash and dry ones. I give the used pillows to the animal shelter. Be sure the feathers if washed are completely dry, mold can grow.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have a big collection of feather pillow. I too wash them in my washer and throw them in the dryer. They come out fluffy and smell good
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

I did some online research this morning and did find down available for sale online. Thinking about washing the pillows, drying them really well. Then adding some purchased down to make a duvet. The down is $65 for 1 pound (I think!). I would think it would take at least 2 pounds. I would need to get some really high thread count sheets to be the cover or pillow ticking.
    Then again, I could just get some ticking to make a couple decorative pillows I have in the UPO pile! I also bought a new comforter that has king size shams. Since I don't have king size pillows I could just make some with new ticking and these feathers.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. I appreciate all the comments!!
    Last edited by booklady; 02-10-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    I hear such things like dust mites and such. do you need to worry about them in feather pillows or do feathers repel them?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I hear such things like dust mites and such. do you need to worry about them in feather pillows or do feathers repel them?
    When washing the pillows add just a little bleach to kill any little critters.
    I'm too blest to be stressed. Amen to that!

How about soft yet sturdy (re) covers and donate to a humane society or rescue for cat pillows?

Thrift stores in my area generally don't accept pillows anymore. I think it's a concern with bedbugs.

DEFINITELY make sure your seams are sound when washing/drying feather pillows, and DON'T leave one in the dryer unattended!!! My mom did that once, we came home from the grocery store to find our garage full of smoke - we were just moments away from a fire. One of the pillows burst open in the dryer and the feathers clogged the machine's vents, causing it to seriously overheat and some of the feathers were actually smouldering. That dryer never worked again, and our garage reeked of burnt feathers for months. Yuck, I swear I can still smell it right now, just thinking about it. It smelled so strongly you could actually taste it at first. Bleh.

But after we got a new dryer, we still washed & dried our feather pillows regularly. Mom just started reinforcing the seams first, and we never left the house while one was in the dryer again.

I don't have feather pillows anymore as DH is allergic to them. I miss them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjdt View Post
    How about soft yet sturdy (re) covers and donate to a humane society or rescue for cat pillows?
    The animal shelter and rescue groups in our area use only towels so they can be washed, dried and re-used. Our darling rat terrier Lily took a feather pillow I made her and tore it to pieces. She was looking for the duck she was sure was hidden inside I really miss that sweet dog!

Wash them with ORVIS, I found mine in a feed store next to cleaning products for animals. Wash in a BIG commercial machine and then dry in a BIG dryer on Low or Just Air. My feather comforter is going on 15years and is still fluffy. I wash it once a year.

cjr
    I have slept on feather pillows my whole life. All comments good. My pillows are made of down my mother & grandmother plucked from geese & ducks. Right now the feathers are 75 to 90 yrs old. My best advise is to buy good ticking. Transferring feathers from one pillow to new ticking is very time consuming. It takes 2 people to control feathers, one to hold new case other putting feathers in. Make sure to get all feathers stuck to old case. Good luck.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline