Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/february-2012-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t177543.html)

Pam H 02-14-2012 08:56 PM

Thanks, Irishrose. Here's another look at my wallhanging. lol It's not quilted in this picture but I need to take more pictures now that it is finished. I had so much fun quilting it. I plan to put it in a quilt show next month if I can get my rear in gear and fill out the application.
I didn't try a new vegetable last week but I hope to try that kale chip recipe.
I've had a headache since early afternoon. Actually 2 headaches. I took sinus meds and that took care of part of it. Then I took my migraine Rx but I can't get rid of it. This sucks. Hopefully I can sleep it off. I have some fun stuff planned for tomorrow that I would hate to cancel.

createfourpaws 02-15-2012 08:14 AM

I am glad the skinny quarters arrived safe and sound.
Keep up all your hard work.

Originally Posted by purplemem (Post 4974950)
Hello All!
I have been continuing to go to Rehab and have upped the exercise, but today had to have oxygen because of the high humidity and dampness. Just got too tired and winded.

I've been doing better now that I go to exercise 3 times a week. It does help my attitude and depression level, but today just hasn't been my day. I'm going to take a nap in a few minutes and try to wake up with an attitude adjustment.

I received all the wonderful Skinny Quarters, my neighbor has a camera and I am going to ask her to come over tonight so I can photograph them for you. They are a lovely combi of red, white and pinks. I have a really pretty yard of a realistic bouquet of pink roses that I'm thinking of combining for a seasonal wall hanging. This would all be a pretty mix. It's brewing in my head.

I started a BOM last month and I think I showed you the block. Well, I finally got it all fixed last night. I also made a baby quilt, basted it, and tonight hope to quilt it. Will take pix of it too.

My weight? I'm down a pound. Disappointing after last month's 12.5, but to be expected. Someone mentioned that muscle weighs more than fat. I'm hoping this is a conversion experience and why I'm slowing down.

createfourpaws 02-15-2012 08:17 AM

I will be going to the post office in a little while. I will post who I have gotten FQ's from to date. Work has been crazy so hadnt been able to get there.

AtHomeSewing 02-15-2012 09:23 AM

Well, I'm sure not going to be a weight-loss threat this month! LOL Last month went so well, with over 11 pounds lost. This month the scale is much more stubborn, but at least I've lost something since the first, 3 pounds so far. (:

irishrose 02-15-2012 09:35 AM

My FQ went out Monday so it may or may not be there. Albuqueque is two days for me and you're not off the beaten path. That was the post office's excuse when my son was stationed in Yuma and things took forever to get there. My Alb GD graduates this year. I'd better start thinking of a quick quilt pattern. No, two. I have a GS graduating here, too. He's off to engineering school. She had to choose between engineering and nursing and chose nursing. New Mexico State's colors are burgundy and white. Not much to work with if I go that direction. I think N Mich U's are blue and gold. Those could go with black if I find a bright royal batik.

Off to work on the red quilt. I hope I like it better as it progresses. Nine patches sound so easy, but you sure have to sew with exact a seam allowance. That's been my learning curve coming from years of apparel sewing. Quilting is exact!

Did you see the post in Chit chat about people who ate chocolate for breakfast lost more weight? I could live with that.

Have a good day, y'all.

irishrose 02-15-2012 11:26 AM

AtHomeSewing, two pounds a week is the maximum healthy weight loss after the first few weeks so you are nearly perfect. Three pounds is not 'only'. The month is only half over.

mim, glad to hear from you. Have you started your brown quilt yet? You are near the end of your weight loss journey and the loss slows down a lot. My body loves these last few pounds and hates giving them up. Who will win??? My body or me???

Pam, I can't imagine having a migraine. I can work around body pain, but earaches, toothaches and headaches are not in that category. I hope yours was short lived.

lawsonmugs 02-15-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 4975901)
jwlheart, that's a great weight loss if you can't go walking. I decided to walk the dogs around the perimeter of our house when we returned from walking. Not a good idea. My neighbor has been snowblowing a path to his shed and the bank was in my yard. Lily and Moira went over. I didn't. I was stuck in a snowbank! Lily came back and pulled me out, thank goodness. The dogs found a lot of new smells. I saw rabbit and deer tracks close to the house. Both of those are hard on the stems of my shrubs like the burning bush and the forsythia. The forsythia needs trimmimg, but I prefer to be the one doing it. The coyote population must be down this year if the rabbits are returning. It's hard for me type that word correctly. My 2nd DD is Cynthia and when she was very young, she renamed forsythias "forCynthias" so that's what they are in our family.

Dinner was a small hamburger and salad at Culver's. For Valentines's Day, they were giving out sundaes. I opted for caramel because I've been eating raspberries here for several days. I did NOT order pecans on it. I'm going to work for this gold star.

I'm going out walking again. It's so pretty at night with the snow and lights. I will stay on plowed areas because, baby, it's dark out there.

Mary, my ankles are fused which makes things like getting out of snowbanks fun. They just don't bend like they used to. I didn't take a camera to the pj party. Just one more thing to carry and I wanted to pack light because I was wearing ballet shoes, not supportive ones. Besides it was so crowded, you'd only have seen the back of someone's head.

Shucks I bet the pictures would have been fun. You be careful out there walking.When it warms a little I think I will walk alittle like before. Across the pasture and back. I been doing really well on the cycle.I did tie a thick piece of foam rubber on the seat. It feels alot better. To bad no one in my house can sew a nice cover for it. LOL Everyone have a good and safe evening. Mary

Maggiemay 02-15-2012 08:14 PM

Sounds like we have some good losses going on this month! Keep up the good work everyone! My husband is out of town & I have been sewing like a fiend! It's so nice not to have to stop & think about dinner & things! I do need to run the vaccuum tomorrow though! I finished up the section of the Christmaw quilt that I've been working on & started on a quilt for my daughter's best friend's 21st birthday. It is a simple square in a square quilt- a nice change from all of the paper piecing & more complex blocks on the Christmas quilt. I have my camera battery charging so I can post some pics of them.

I have walked 12.5 miles this month!

irishrose 02-15-2012 10:50 PM

Maggiemay, we were tracking miles with a destination for a while - it started in October, I think. My destination was my grandson's tea shop in Grand Rapids which is about 100 miles. I'm at about 203 miles so I need a new destination. I really did finally make it down there physically. I know it's not far, but the neurathapy has limited my driving too far at a time. It'd be a bit inconvenient to not be able to move a foot in city traffic. Maybe I'll head for Mackinaw Island next. I should get there about the time the ferries run again.

I am going to the library tomorrow and look for an applique pattern. The red quilt will soon be ready for it. My Elna does a nice satin stitch, but it looks like satin stitchiing is out of style in favor of the buttonhole stitch. Do I use the ss or borrow my daughter's machine to do a buttonhole stitch? Is satin stitching ever really out of style? I did little lambs on a red jumper for Karen when she was a toddler, now 50 some years later it's flowers on a red quilt. Such fun.

Paper piecing, Maggiemay?? I have a pattern and the fabric for a single block rolled together but when I get to it, it will be my first. What am I afraid of - I'm a big girl and I can read directions. If I have any questions, I'll know where to ask.

Mary, I am careful. When you live alone and refuse to carry a cell phone, you can't do dumb things. Getting stuck in a snowbank in my own yard 10 minutes before my daughter was to due arrive wasn't dangerous. Besides I needed a funny story for her. It was her second Valentine's Day since she lost her husband and shortly after that her house burned. She seemed a little down when she came so it was a good thing she could laugh at me.

Off to bed. I have a meeting/lunch at BigBoy tomorrow and I'm the one in charge so I'd better get up early and get my paperwork together. Goodnight, all.

Everose 02-16-2012 09:28 AM

Good Morning Ladies!!! Hard night with Mom, but the sun is shining now and that's wonderful.

Cindy, hope my FQ gets there today. I have told myself I am going to WIN this month. Keeping me on track. I knew I was drinking a lot of water, so decided to check. So far I have drank 6 glasses and it's only 11:25 a.m.

Irishrose, how did the hair color come out? Remember when I was much younger and did my hair on a Sat. afternoon before church. My mother and younger brother met me there and we sat together. Just when the sermon started my brother looked at me (it was really quiet in the church) and said, "It sure got black - didn't it". I wanted to disappear. So out of the mouths of the children we know what it is all about.

Hubby is supposed to come home tonight after the workshop, unless there is another emergency.

Have a great day.