Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   fess up to your collecting rituals....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fess-up-your-collecting-rituals-t45032.html)

chris_quilts 05-07-2010 05:33 PM

I collect Polish pottery, especially coffee cups. I also have a large collection of dog fur, cat fur and dust bunnies. DH collects John Wayne stuff and unicorn stuff but only if the unicorns look a certain way and never if they are with John Wayne.:)

Barbara A. 05-07-2010 05:35 PM

I have been collecting tea balls or defusers, Civil War items and books, small teddy bear figurines, old who-si-whats-its...especially the cooking utensils nobody knows what they were for...they're fun to bring out and ask older people and stump the younger people. I'm the same as prezzy, my house is full...but fun.

Joanie2 05-07-2010 07:42 PM

I see a lot of us like the same things -- tea pots, tea cups,
old hankies, cat stuff. I also collect Lucy Rigg bears, plates and cut colored glass.

pgthom 05-07-2010 07:46 PM

I too collect old hankies. Can you tell me about your handkerchief quilt? I also want to do a bedcover (not really a quilt) from old damask napkins in various pastel colors, using vintage linens for embellishment. Been thinking about it for a long time, and collecting items for it. Need to get started before I am too old to totter out to the sewing room! Good thing it's barrier free...will be able to use a walker when I need one to get out there! ;-)

roseOfsharon 05-08-2010 11:32 AM

I have some teapots and cup/saucers, rooster/chickens, willow angels, Jim Shore angels, some cocheted dollies,and now fabric! But not as much fabric as many here have! I have to watch my money more now that Hub is retired and I too. Income demands it! BUT, I manage to get what I need, I just don't shop like many here do, even though I would love to!

kat112000 05-08-2010 11:58 AM

dragonflies and snowmen

wyldhare17 05-08-2010 12:13 PM

well...besides fabric and we all know thats just therapy..lol...i used to collect clear glass buttons, yardley cosmetic jars(they all have a bee on top) old dishes pre1940's..just nice shapes n patterns.....love halloween figures...and single clear glass candlesticks....but i dont anymore..just fabric..lololol..that gets me into enough trouble!!! :)

pgthom 05-08-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by wyldhare17
well...besides fabric and we all know thats just therapy..lol...i used to collect clear glass buttons, yardley cosmetic jars(they all have a bee on top) old dishes pre1940's..just nice shapes n patterns.....love halloween figures...and single clear glass candlesticks....but i dont anymore..just fabric..lololol..that gets me into enough trouble!!! :)

I also have a passion for clear glass buttons. What did you do with yours? Make jewelry, embellish, or just touch and admire them. I find sorting a bin full of buttons to be excellent therapy!

pgthom 05-08-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara A.
I have been collecting tea balls or defusers, Civil War items and books, small teddy bear figurines, old who-si-whats-its...especially the cooking utensils nobody knows what they were for...they're fun to bring out and ask older people and stump the younger people. I'm the same as prezzy, my house is full...but fun.

Regarding the old cooking utensils: I once used my collection for a game at a bridal shower. Interesting to see who had any idea what some of those old things were used for, before all the modern appliances we all take for granted. I still have a large collection of green handled utensils, tho' no longer on display in my contemporary house. They seem to connect me to my grandmothers and great grandmother who used these items.

OHSue 05-08-2010 02:45 PM

Tote bags.... I work in a doctors office and I have several with drug names. My neighbor travels for her job, I have lots from places I have never been. And I like making them.